Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

The Tail of the Dragon Rd Course

Old 04-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tail of the Dragon Curvey Ass Road That u cant handel

The Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America ’s number one motorcycle and sports car road. The nearby Cherohala Skyway is quickly becoming number two with its remote 60 miles of scenic mountain highway.

A few people from my car club FLNECO are attending once a year we go and its really fun . This might be something some of you would be intrested in just have a look .

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

Last edited by kornflake; 04-05-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:45 AM
who stole my intercooler?

it's not really a road course
Old 04-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mofugga
it's not really a road course

And ? its fun to drive . And its a big anuall event for some .
Old 04-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Gravel fiend

t3h Dragon > *. I'm a little behind on my usual 4 trips per year... had to miss out on the March trip.

Have fun up there, but stay on the right side of the double yellows.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Comprehensive

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. Makes me wish I lived in N GA.

12hrs + 12hrs is too much of a hike for even a 3-day weekend, IMO.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Gravel fiend

Originally Posted by jblaine
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. Makes me wish I lived in N GA.

12hrs + 12hrs is too much of a hike for even a 3-day weekend, IMO.
The parts of US129 in N Ga are awesome also... 2 lanes on the downhill so you can actually pass people, and they're twisty yet you can carry some good speed.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 AM
aka The Twanksta!

Sounds like a awesome place to go, a 3 day trip would be worth the 12 hour drive depending on if my car doesnt break and how many times i can go down this road. I dont understand why this website is so happy this road is in all these magaziens and articles though, cops will be all over it no time.

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer
Old 04-07-2006, 01:45 PM

The local cops recognize that Deal's Gap is an attraction for bikers and sports car enthusiasts. They DO come out in force on holidays and sometimes when there are large planned events. Otherwise, I think they turn a blind eye most of the time. If you're going to go, go mid-week on a non-holiday. You'll have a lot more unobstructed road to enjoy.

Personally, while the Gap IS a blast to drive, it's far from the only road you can enjoy in the mountains. Anywhere there are mountains, there are curvy roads. You just have to seek them out. While many of the roads won't be as perfectly curved, banked and paved as the Gap, an awful lot of them will have less traffic and thus be more enjoyable to drive.

Be creative. Plan a road trip that includes a lot of interesting back roads to get TO your destination (be it the Gap or elsewhere) rather than driving a boring interstate for 16 hours to get there just to drive one road with way too many other people. Online mapping is your friend. (GPS can come in handy, too!)
Old 04-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Gravel fiend

The cops are more of a "have your fun, but do it safely" type. As long as there are no major crashes or people crossing the yellow lines, they pretty much are chill. They will usually be out in force the day or weekend following any fatality, though.

And in response to Loren, taking US129 all the way from its beginning in FL to the Gap is pretty cool. I've read there are some stretches in GA where the speed limit is 85! I've only taken it as far as Atlanta (starting in Robbinsville).

Usually when I make a trip, I leave on Thursday, drive to Kennesaw (GA), and stay overnight. That way its a 9 hour drive on one day, and a short(er) 3-4 hour drive on Friday. That way, I can have some time on Friday to make some scouting runs on the Dragon, and the gravel roads that run near the Cherahola.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:09 PM
aka The Twanksta!

I wanna go so bad! wish I had the money to just make a road trip just to drive on some road...lol.

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer