Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

F1 - New rear wing concept

Old 11-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Turn 7 at Sebring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1 - New rear wing concept

I saw this on another forum. I have mixed feelings about it, and personally don't think the FIA will get the owners to agree to it.

Team bosses doubtful on radical wing

By Jonathan Noble Monday, 24 October 2005 17:27

The FIA's hopes of getting their radical double-winged car into Formula One for 2007 are likely to be dashed, according to team bosses who claim that it will be too difficult to get the necessary approval before the end of this year.

Although a meeting of the Formula One Commission in London on Monday voted in favour of adopting the slick-tyred wide Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) wing car as early as 2007, the requirement for eight out of ten teams to back the plans in the Technical Working Group may still prove to be too much.

Speaking to Autosport-Atlas immediately after the F1 Commission meeting, Minardi boss Paul Stoddart believed that the plans for the radical car may have to be put on hold until 2008.

"If eight out of 10 TWG members don't approve it, then it is not going any further at this stage - and I would put money on that happening," he said. "I don't think they will be in for 2007.

"The single tyre manufacturer rule has also been linked to them, so there is an argument that there might not be a single tyre for 2007 either. Will we get the eight votes with this design? I doubt it, but we will see."

Frank Williams believed that it was not going to be straightforward to get the 2007 regulations finalised before the end of the year - although he claimed it would be great for the sport if the car actually did increase excitement as much as has been predicted.

"I think there is total support for it, but the only thing that worries me is that there are just two months from tomorrow until Christmas for us to agree," he told Autosport-Atlas.

"There may be structural problems to overcome, with wings falling off, or vast turbulence created behind the cars, although that is being unduly negative but to get it done and tested is a lot of work."

When asked what his personal opinions were on the concept and look of the CDG car, Williams added: "I thought I would hate it, but you get used to it quickly.

"If it delivers then 'Wow!' One's dream is to participate in a sport that every person in the world wants to watch. I think if we had the final of the World Cup 19 times a year - isn't that your dream as a motor racing nutcase."

One team boss, who did not wish to be identified, said he also doubted the rules would get the support needed in the TWG meeting.

"I cannot see if happening," he said. "There is optimistic wishful thinking for all the right reasons to make it happen for 2007, but I doubt we can do it."

FIA president Max Mosley countered the team bosses' views on Monday, however, when he said that he was optimistic the TWG would approve the concept of the car.

"Everyone who has seen the cars is very enthusiastic about it, so unless there is an unforeseen difficulty it will all be okay," he said.

Last edited by RoadRacer; 11-30-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Turn 7 at Sebring

Here is how it will work.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:23 AM

I would welcome that change as I feel that F1 is getting all too restrictive in their rules! The front and rear wing sizes alone were reduced enough for the '05 season. And now I believe they will use V8's and ditch the V10 but should still make competitve power isn't that right? I just hope another tire event like Indy happens as that was extremely bad for F1 presence here. Well March should be just around the corner so maybe the new rear wings will be approved by then???? Only time...or Max will tell
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

It's not really made clear above, but the idea is to make passing easier by implementing this split wing.

For those of you who think rear wings are there to make your Honda look cool: It's back there to create downforce > tire grip > the ability maintain as much speed as possible through a corner.

The FIA has been talking about this since before the F1 season ended. Assuming that this concept has been tested to some extent (confirming the theory is sound) before being introduced, I say let's do it! As it is right now, two closely competitive cars have an excessively difficult time passing. The car in the back giving chase must maintain a great cushion from the lead car because it needs clean air over its wings. When it's time to attempt the pass, the car attempting to pass has too much ground to cover. The only time it can be done is when the tail car has a much more talented driver ... like when Kimi passes Fernando
Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 PM

Less downforce = more exciting racing. Take all the wings away!
Oh and make HP unlimited!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Turn 7 at Sebring

I would like to see team developed wings.. the current way and the return of slicks

I believe there was some testing done on this wing, but the individual teams would have to spend many, many hours testing it on their cars... to insure there aren't any failures.
One possible issue with the new wing will be the difference between downforce behind the lead car and the downforce during the pullout and pass. The over taking car would get progressively less downforce as it pulls out of the downwash.