Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Large piece of asphalt...

Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 PM
OUCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueboost
No go on the sheriffs skidpad. My dads girlfriend is the driving instructor there and they never allow any civilians on the pad. (Ask me how many times I've tried )

Maybe the Randy and the C.A.R.S. team could petition the county about this?
There's a difference between you trying to get permission to go screw around and an insured organization like the SCCA approaching them to put on a sanctioned event.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:21 PM
towards antisocial

Originally Posted by Leonard
There's a difference between you trying to get permission to go screw around and an insured organization like the SCCA approaching them to put on a sanctioned event.
no no. I understand that. I've questioned her numerous times about it, and she states they have been approached before and declined to let anyone use it besides officers in training.

I'm not saying not to try. If you think you can get a major organization like SCCA to approach the sheriffs office, by all means do. Let me know what I can do to help.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 AM

With regards to the Tampa Greyhound lot, I never ran there.

I have heard stories that it was a site used by many clubs until a Corvette club ran there and dug holes into the asphalt at the start line, cars doing burnouts.

I have been autocrossing since 1981.

Back in the 70's and early 80's, before SCCA had an autocross program, there were several independent motorsports clubs in the Tampa area. Among these clubs were, McDill Sports Car Club, Polk Motorsports Association, USF Sports Car Club, and some others that have slipped my mind. These clubs became a part of a larger orginization, called Council of Tampa area Auto Clubs (CTBAC). CTBAC wrote a rule book and car classification system so members clubs of CTBAC would operate under a common set of rules.

I attended my first autocross at Polk Community College in June 1981. I was the Governor of District 4, CFR, and was at the June BOG meeting in Winter Haven. Howard Duncan attended this meeting and asked the BOG why CFR SCCA did not have an autocross program. The BOG responded by saying, "that is a good question Mr. Duncan, and since you raised it, tag, you are it." Howard left the meeting with the support of CFR in starting an autocross program. I spoke with Howard after the meeting to ask about SOLO II. He said that there was an event going on right then at PCC. I followed him to PCC, liked what I saw, and jumped right into the sport. At that event I met Bill and Elliot Harvey, and Danny and Sharon Shields.

By 1984, CTBAC faded away. CFR was able to hold events at most of the sites CTBAC ran on. Among these sites were: Golden Gate Speedway, engineering lots at USF, Sundome lot at USF, McDill AFB, Lakeland Speedway, SPCC ST Pete lot, Paradyne lot on Ulmerton, Brooksville Airport, Dunnellon Airport, various areas on the State Fairgrounds, I'll have to check the old Checker's to jolt my memory for other sites.

4 years ago, an effort was made to run at Sunshine Speedway. A CFR official (who has since moved out of state) know the folks that ran the speedway, and they were interested in having a SOLO event. Things never came through though. I know that the racetrack is not active, but I believe that the dragstrip is still active. Is there any chance of contacting Sunshine to see if something could be worked out? Or DeSoto Speedway?

Dave
Old 10-07-2005, 06:41 AM
rv7

I apologize for not getting the pics up last night, and they won't be up until Monday. I drove around last night and discovered that the Derby Lane track (on the West side of the Gandy bridge) is actually a much better lot. The asphalt there is much smoother than the Tampa Greyhound (I-275) lot. Hopefully, this weekend I can get ahold of some people and see if these lots are even a possibility. I'll try to get those pics up asap.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:33 AM

We've looked at Derby Lane. It might be a nicer lot, and arguably a better location... there have even been recent auto events held there. But, it's not nearly as big as the Tampa dog track. Even with a little roughness, I'd prefer the bigger site.

Of course, it's good to investigate all options and try to get in wherever we can.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Haul'n the Family

I have an idea....not sure if its a good one, but here goes.
I work in the TV industry and when we make plans for a new show we need to entice sponsors or if we are running a big campaign for a big client, we make a "Sales Video" to help sell whatever the client is pitching.
This 5-7 minute video highlights all the "Pros" for whatever proposal we are selling and trying to generate interest in.
Its a big marketing tool, and I've seen it work big-time.
I think this is something we can do to showcase who we as autocrossers are and what we do and how well the organization is run. I think a sales video might help us to promote ourselves to possible lot owners as well as sponsors, not to mention squelch concerns about how we race, etc.
I'd be happy to help produce something like this pro-bono for the club if it would help.
Additionally, if we find a lot we like, say the Greyhound facility for example, there has to be someone in management there that might be a "car guy."
We should try to find out who that guy/girl is aand pitch this idea to them....using the sales video of course.

Just some ideas.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Fastforward

How about contacting Howard Duncan at the SCCA National office in Topeka. This is the same person I mentioned in my previous post. Howard is now a VP in SCCA. He may have ideas and material that could help in this. Tell him Dave Welsh said hi.

Back in the late 80's we had a member in the Tampa arrea who had contacts in the radio industry. He worked at getting info about events on air. It was not uncommon that 40 percent of an event's entry were 1st time novices.

Point is this is a great idea.

In the mid 80's, at the University of Florida, someone got the local TV station out to an event. They made a 60 story for the Sunday news. I had a tape of the story until I loaned it to someone in Gainesville in order to have events back on the UF campus.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Haul'n the Family

Originally Posted by Lola56
Fastforward

How about contacting Howard Duncan at the SCCA National office in Topeka. This is the same person I mentioned in my previous post. Howard is now a VP in SCCA. He may have ideas and material that could help in this. Tell him Dave Welsh said hi.

Back in the late 80's we had a member in the Tampa arrea who had contacts in the radio industry. He worked at getting info about events on air. It was not uncommon that 40 percent of an event's entry were 1st time novices.

Point is this is a great idea.

In the mid 80's, at the University of Florida, someone got the local TV station out to an event. They made a 60 story for the Sunday news. I had a tape of the story until I loaned it to someone in Gainesville in order to have events back on the UF campus.
I have quite a bit of Auto-X footage from just about every club and venue in central florida. Even Rally-Cross.
I could interview some folks on cam, and get some more footage of track set up and clean up, etc. With or without SCCA support I think something like this would be a valuable tool for any organization...it could be more about auto-x and be sort of generic if we wanted that way, so any club could use it. But, if the SCCA wanted to be a part of it and could provide some material that would be great too.
I also work at a local TV station as a production videographer. I could get autocross some exposure too. That might help drive new recruits.
Infact one show I work on, the producers have been hounding me about putting together a story on autox, I haven't done it yet, because I just haven't had the chance to get out to race lately.
Anything I can do to help, I'd love to.
If you have Dave's email info or something send it my way, maybe I can get something rolling.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:05 AM

As far as SCCA goes, they already have a promo video available. At least one. They also have an "event site acquisition" packet with a bunch of info in it available for the asking, and last I heard they actually had a person at the national level in charge of assisting local people in such endeavors.

For the non-SCCA clubs... something like this video could be a big help, especially if it's carefully constructed to not include anything potentially offensive. (that ranges from people to cars, and actions to words... including tire-smoking pavement abuse)
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 AM
OUCH!!!

Originally Posted by Loren
For the non-SCCA clubs... something like this video could be a big help, especially if it's carefully constructed to not include anything potentially offensive. (that ranges from people to cars, and actions to words... including tire-smoking pavement abuse)
While it's probably a good idea for initially acquiring the site I think that's a bad idea in the long run.. The video needs to contain the full spectrum of what you could expect to see at an event. The last thing you want is for a site owner to come out to an event (perhaps the first at the site) to check in and see a spinout with a little tire smoke (or god forbid some jackass who decides he's doridori drifto master) and feel like the 'sales pitch' misrepresented the sport. I guarantee you'll loose the site and any chance of getting it back for a VERY long time.