Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Anyone going to Deland this week?

Old 01-17-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone going to Deland this week?

I have never been there. I think it is time for me to experience a Deland auto-x.

Does the east coast still use the odd run/work order or do they have all runs at one time now?

Jeremy

Old 01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
OUCH!!!

I'd say it's a safe bet that they're still running events the way they are accustomed to doing....
Old 01-18-2005, 06:16 AM
The Fat Cobra

I would say that "odd" is a polite way of putting it. I think they changed it sometime before I bitched about it on the YAHOO! group, but I am not sure. Have fun in Deland, but in my opinion, it isn't worth the drive.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
F K D

Jeremy, the last and only time I went to Deland, they used a standard run/work order (unlike the infuriating red/white/blue, ala Martin club deal). We did all of our runs, I believe 7, at the same time. It was broken into two groups w/o a lunch break.

The surface looks really nasty but does grip pretty well. For very old asphalt/tarmac I was surprised. It seemed to eat tires at a quicker than average rate. I guess for you, on Azenis'(?), that'd translate into keeping your tires soaked between runs.

The only piss-off there was that there was no grid, in any conventional sense, and the cars were relegated to a cluster-fuck traffic jam. I hate that crap. My car runs noticably weaker when both fans are on and the intake gets too hot to touch.

Have fun. It took me about two hours from downtown,

Need a co-driver?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:13 AM
who stole my intercooler?

yo todd, i thought you said you were done with this site?

i've not run any cfr east events except sebring the last couple of years & have not been impressed, plus the constant bitching about how they run things doesn't motivate me to drive to one. if it is run smoothly let me know & i may go to one.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:45 PM
F K D

i thought you said you were done with this site?
No, never said that. Or maybe I did. I was just done with that State Championships thread (still feel the same about that, BTW). But I've made an effort to ignore the bulk of the dumb shit on here.

I just thought someone that has actually gone to a Deland event should chime in. I thought it'd be horrible too. The only other East Coast event I've done was at Palm Bay and it was one of the worst ever. I'd guess they still run things like that at IRCC but Deland's physical layout won't work with course workers cycling in & out.

Oh yeah, be careful of the tire wall that runs directly down the middle!!! I was never more nervous having someone drive my car. You just stand on the center line and hope you see your car shoot through to the other side. And you also have to run a WRC stage to get from the main road to the site, which, I'm sure, is great fun in a STi but an oil pan grinder in a S2000. Don't bother washing your car.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Sub-$1000 STX

i've been to deland several times and i cannont believe how many people on here hate the site. yes it's not as grippy as the concrete runway at whitehouse. but so what? everybody will be running on the same surface as you. at deland you just get to throw your car around a little more and get it sideways. in fact, i believe getting the car sideways quite a bit is a must if you want to get a good time at deland.

the last few times i went, i thought we got an average # of runs and we did all our runs at once. i believe it was either 4 or 5 runs. and the 1/4 mile patch of dirt road is really not that bad if you stay all the way to one side.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:31 PM
OUCH!!!

mrf

That may be the case in a WRX, but some of us don't drive 'rally inspired' vehicles.

I can understand why Todd doesn't like offroading the S2000.

My FFR sits even lower... I'll give people behind me an occasional spark show on highway expansion joints....