Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

autox skills save my hatch today

Old 11-12-2004, 09:19 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autox skills save my hatch today

On the way to work this morning on the Lee Roy Selmon's Expressway an impatient lady cut me off to get in a lane for construction that she decided not to pay attention to.

Lets put it this way, traffic was moving at posted plus 5, she was behind me doing fine in the construction lane that was going to open but that wasn't good enough. So she passes right when the cones start. Bravo dumb azz.

So later up the expressway the traffic is stopped but she decides not to pay attention to that either and slams on her breaks. Being that I keep a 1/2 to full car length behind someone I had distance to break but when I saw her rear tires lock up and smoke...

I checked the lane to my right that was coned off and darted between the cones and straightened back out as the stupid lady almost rear ended the car infront of her. The minivan behind me was smart enuff to keep her distance and break safely with the room that was now open. And was kind enough to let me back in.

Mind you I was maybe going down to 25mph when I did this so it wasn't all that dramatic but ...

Yay Autox and f* all the insurance companies who disapprove of it.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production

Last edited by chi town brat; 11-12-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:24 AM
The Fat Cobra

Once, on my way to an autox, I had to use my skills to avoid an accident. I was glad that I had the skill to avoid the accident, but it was ironic that if I was not autoxing, I wouldn't have been in that situation.
I also have State Farm, which does not disapprove of autox.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:34 AM
who stole my intercooler?

crap like that has happened several times to me, just the other day pulling into work for instance.

hmm, state farm does not disapprove of autox huh? good to know seeing as tho i have it.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:16 AM

Good to hear that you dodged one! I've had my share of putting autox skills to use in emergency situations. It's priceless!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Grift Consultant

good for you! superhuman driving skills pay off once in a while. it's a nice feeling when you save your own ass by knowing your car and your abilities. and especially when you watch from your rearview mirror as a Honda Odyssey smashes into the back of a tractor trailer. stoopid tailgaters. but hey, better her than me. i woulda been sandwiched between a semi and her 55-mph-on-4th-street, soccer-mom ass.
"The genius of any slave system is found in the dynamics which isolate slaves from each other, obscure the reality of a common condition, and make united rebellion against the oppressor inconceivable." ~Andrea Dworkin

"If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law." ~Henry David Thoreau, 1849

That's right, bitches, TWO quotes!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:06 PM
insert witty retort here

yup. auto-x skills payoff. probably the single best auto-x skill is learning how to brake without "panic braking" (locking em up).
Old 11-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Runs good....Sometimes.

definitely because sliding thorugh an intersection on is 19 is BAD trust me i know not 3 days after i started driving my car it happened to me good thing there was no one in front of me and the light turned red as i slid through it
Boredom owns me.

its like negative penguin outside this is bullshit. -Angela
Old 11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Isn't auto-x a beautiful thing? If only my insurance company would appreciate it as much as I do.