Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Which Miata for ST2? 1.6 VLSD vs 1.8 open diff

Old 10-04-2004, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, the CSP guys take weight over all else. They remove bracing, don't run shock tower braces or roll bars, convert to the smaller 1.6 brakes, etc.

Probably not healthy for the car's unibody to run that way with a stiff suspension and R tires... but it must be the fast way or they wouldn't do it.

The Honda guys are the same way. Shave as much weight as is allowed and get as much power as is allowed.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nunyo
Jason, mid way through the '91 model year they switched the crank style from the earlier setup that everyone seems so concerned about. You can tell based on whether the VIN is after xxxx209446. My '91 has the '92 and up style crank.

Sweet. I didn't know that. MORE years I can include in my search.

I too was unaware of the different gearing, if the 1.8 is actually 125 lbs heavier than a 1.6 equipped car, I'd say that the reduced weight and ability to run the viscous diff make the 1.6 a better starting point.

It doesn't hurt that by being slightly older it should be a little bit cheaper to purchase one as well.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the better a 1.6 sounds.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!