Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Tire Suggestions

Old 03-03-2004, 07:54 AM
is cooler than you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Suggestions

Going to be buying tires soon....looking for something pretty sticky for the street and for autox, good wet weather traction, and won't wear out after 4 autoxs.

Right now I'm considering Falken Azenis (of course), and the Kumho MX's.

Any reason why either of these should not be considered, or any other good tires out there that I'm overlooking???
Old 03-03-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Tire Suggestions

Originally posted by Leslie
Any reason why either of these should not be considered
If you are having a 2 driver car or plan on doing open track stuff, like HPDE's or Primus events, the Kumho will work better with the high temps generated.

Originally posted by Leslie
or any other good tires out there that I'm overlooking???
Not in that price range.

Jeremy

Old 03-03-2004, 09:08 AM
cone junkie

umm, what size? that's more important.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 03-03-2004, 09:14 AM
is cooler than you

225/45/17s up front, 245/45/17s for the rear.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:41 AM
cone junkie

what car? is that enough tire for the car?

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 AM
The Fat Cobra

Even as a single driver autoxing in this area, where you can do 6 or 7 runs in a heat, you will find that the azenis will overheat after the third run if you are not spraying them with water. I would recommend the MX over the azenis, simply because they are more difficult to overheat. Unless you like understeer, I wouldn't go with the staggered setup either.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:04 AM

Azenis are great wet or dry when new. They seem to have the tendency to "age out" in about 6-8 months, especially if you drive them on the street. Too many heat cycles. This combined with reduced tread depth can make them pretty scary in the rain about half-way through their life.

Haven't heard much about the new Kumho MX's other than they are pretty sticky and cheap. I almost went with them, but decided I wanted to see if the F1's were as good in the rain as people said they were.

I just bought a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's. Probably a little pricey in the 17" sizes, but reasonable in a 195/50-15. Excellent tire in the dry... not quite up to an Azenis, but at least as good as any other street tire I've driven on. Very responsive, very grippy, very quiet. And they are unbelievable in the rain!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 AM
MASTER BREWER:HOT TEA

MX's chunk like a muther fucker when they overheat, and they arent sticky until you get them to a proper heat temp. I like the azenis for that reason.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Grift Consultant

in my opinion, falken azenis are scary in the rain, even when they're brand new! the dry traction is great, but they do heat up quite a bit at an autox after your first few runs, so get a squirt bottle if you're gonna run a 2 driver car.
"The genius of any slave system is found in the dynamics which isolate slaves from each other, obscure the reality of a common condition, and make united rebellion against the oppressor inconceivable." ~Andrea Dworkin

"If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law." ~Henry David Thoreau, 1849

That's right, bitches, TWO quotes!
Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 AM
cone junkie

this is florida...you won't see an event with temps under 70 for the next 6 months.

MX's, for that reason. they're idiot proof. If you get them hot enough to chunk without being a moron, ill give you a free event.

-93 MR2, #129 ES