Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing
View Poll Results: About this March 13 Primus event...
I am or will become a member and I'll be registering at the $50 member rate.
41.67%
I'm not a member, but I'll be registering at the $65 rate.
37.50%
I'd like to, but I don't meet the experience requirement.
12.50%
I'd like to, but it's too rich for my blood.
0%
I'm completely uninterested in this type of event.
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Primus Event #1 - Poll

Old 01-19-2004, 04:15 AM
The Fat Cobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my car may be ready for this event. I am not ready to join your club yet, my car is too big to have any fun on your autox courses.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by Muddy
I think my car may be ready for this event. I am not ready to join your club yet, my car is too big to have any fun on your autox courses.
Which car are you putting together, the Supra?

It's no bigger than the Impala that ran our last autox!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:56 AM
cone junkie

yeah, but Kenny is nuts. Just ask him

(Hi Kenny, it's Jesse )

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 01-19-2004, 08:28 AM
The Fat Cobra

Originally posted by Loren
Which car are you putting together, the Supra?

It's no bigger than the Impala that ran our last autox!
Yeah, but the poopra has the turning radius of a BUS.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:04 AM
F K D

So, do the roll hoops in an S2K count as a "roll bars"? If not, that kinda' screws me from ever running with you there. I'm certainly not spending $400 to $800 and adding 70 to 90 pounds just for a handfull of Primus events.

T.Morrow
Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Loren - any thought on a tech inspection like PCA does? That's what I would be worried about - especially after doing tech at the last autocross for PCA at zephyrhills. Yes, some doodlehead porsche people, definitely - but I can't tell you the number of folks that had loose stuff in their cars, battery's not secure, woofer boxes, tire pressures all over the place...

As far as the 6 autocrosses - probably 10 in the past 10 years, but from California and Texas- not sure even I could meet that requirement with references - How about shifter car experience? how about Richard Petty Driving School?

Anyway, just a thought - I'd be interested.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by OversteerS2K
So, do the roll hoops in an S2K count as a "roll bars"? If not, that kinda' screws me from ever running with you there. I'm certainly not spending $400 to $800 and adding 70 to 90 pounds just for a handfull of Primus events.
Jury is still out on that, but we're pretty sure the insurance company will accept that. I'll be firing off an email to them tonight with that and other questions.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by g-50Cab
Loren - any thought on a tech inspection like PCA does? That's what I would be worried about - especially after doing tech at the last autocross for PCA at zephyrhills. Yes, some doodlehead porsche people, definitely - but I can't tell you the number of folks that had loose stuff in their cars, battery's not secure, woofer boxes, tire pressures all over the place...

As far as the 6 autocrosses - probably 10 in the past 10 years, but from California and Texas- not sure even I could meet that requirement with references - How about shifter car experience? how about Richard Petty Driving School?

Anyway, just a thought - I'd be interested.
Tech inspection will definitely be more stringent than for an autocross. Richard Petty Driving school would definitely count as "track experience".

With the variety of experience that some people have, we may just blankly ask what experience a driver has. If they say something like "2 autocrosses", we may turn them down, or we may just opt to ensure that we have someone available to give them some thorough one-on-one.

Glad I posted this poll, it's providing good info for discussion at our organizational meetings that we'll be having for these events.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:53 PM
who stole my intercooler?

where is this place located as i'd like to go take a look at the track before signing up. i remember a website or something being posted before but i'm too lazy to search for it.

when you say instructor, who will be the instructors & is it necessary for them to check you out if you are "experienced?"
Old 01-19-2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by mofugga
where is this place located as i'd like to go take a look at the track before signing up. i remember a website or something being posted before but i'm too lazy to search for it.

when you say instructor, who will be the instructors & is it necessary for them to check you out if you are "experienced?"
The track is located at 10101 Us Highway 41 N in Palmetto. Save yourself a trip: Look at the map I posted. The track is 26 feet wide, there's a scale on the map. The full length of the configuration we're running is about 9/10 of a mile. Surrounding the track is lots of lush green grass, it's really a nice looking place. Runoff space is minimal in most places, hence our concern for safety and ensuring that everyone has the proper mindset.

Our "real" instructors will be experienced amateur race drivers coordinated by one of the SunRiders Spec Miata drivers. We will also be using experienced autocrossers who are familiar with the track (there are 4 or 5 of us who have run the track quite a bit) as low-level novice instructors and/or "qualifiers". Yes, we will give everyone at least a basic checkout drive unless they come up with something like an SCCA competition license.

It's just a safety thing. We want to be sure that everyone at least has enough sense to not rush out there and get in over their head. Did I mention "It's Not An Autocross"?

Forgive us if we seem like we're being overly strict with our driver requirements and such. This is the first time we've ever put on an event like this, and we're playing it safe.