Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SunRider's wrap up 11/15

Old 11-19-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Imperial TSi AWD
I did? Man, I was thinking I needed some help out there!
Hmmm... I thought you did. Maybe it was one of those other "big red cars". They all look the same to me. Now that I think about it, I do remember riding with someone in an AWD car... was it you or the Sube? Man, my memory sucks.
After some thought, I thought I was pushing the car harder than it could handle. I think my mistake was nailing the throttle wide open after every corner exit not paying attention to setting myself up for the next corner's ideal line.
Recognizing that you are doing things like that is a huge step. Now all you have to do is engage your brain while you're on course and remember not to do them.
I found myself panicking a little bit, especially on the sweeper before the goal timer with understeer. Like you said, Loren, "sometimes you gotta slow down to go faster."
Even I had trouble accepting that I needed to "go slow" in that section. Instinct said to accelerate... reality said NO!

Never panic, though. Keep looking ahead to the next maneuver so that you are never surprised by it. Relax, be at one with the course. It's a zen thing.
It'd also helped if I got my tire pressures right that day... Aw, well. I'll do a couple ride-alongs and a few instructed rounds and hopefully I can pull better times next time around...
Ride with as many people as you can. It all helps. Watching better drivers and their methods as well as watching other people's mistakes.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:54 PM
The 3rd World Special

I'd like to be working the course at least twice before driving. Gives me a little insight as to what to expect as far as lines, entry speed, etc., etc... Is it in any way possible to trade places with someone if you don't want to run in a specific heat?

"A high power turbo... Plus All Wheel Drive... It's not a car without them."
~Sudo Kyoichi
Old 11-19-2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Imperial TSi AWD
I'd like to be working the course at least twice before driving. Gives me a little insight as to what to expect as far as lines, entry speed, etc., etc... Is it in any way possible to trade places with someone if you don't want to run in a specific heat?
Yeah, we're pretty flexible as far as that goes. Of course, we only have two groups if we have less than 36 or so drivers. But if we have enough drivers for 3 groups, we're not going to complain if someone volunteers to work two of them!

Easiest thing to do is to ask for a later number when you go through tech. But if you want to swap numbers with someone (be sure to your sheet gets updated if you do this!) that's fine. It's really no big deal if you keep the number and just run out of sequence as long as we know that's what you're doing.

And I agree, picking one of the more difficult sections of the course to work before you run can be helpful.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:05 PM
The 3rd World Special

"Drag racers like to go in one direction. Autocrossers prefer to hit it from every angle."
~Phil and Bling

Bring on the Hater-ade...

"A high power turbo... Plus All Wheel Drive... It's not a car without them."
~Sudo Kyoichi
Old 11-20-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Z3PO
that guy in the S-2000 is a geek. i smoked him twice in south tampa easy kill
Awww, hell. We already knew he was a geek.

But if you want to impress us with your smokin' Beamer, come on out to an autocross and whup up on him. There's one this Saturday in ZephyrHills, and I bet said geek will be there.