Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SunRider's wrap up 11/15

Old 11-15-2003, 06:41 PM
bucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the course, you did well with what you had...even dropping down into 1st wasn't too bad this time around. On my last run I got the timing right to slide around that corner using the e-brake, I wish I did another serious run to see if that would end up helping or hurting my times. I vote for Brian to enter the permanent rotation of co-chairs/course designers

I like the idea of FTD getting a donut, it will add more of a competitive spirit to SR events, which everyone says is lacking. This should become an SR tradition...I for one really wanted that donut and will spend my time during the off season meditating and thinking zen thoughts about my suspension.

Loren, what were your impressions of the s14? Did anything really seem lacking in a 'damn if only this car had.......' kind of way? Other than the presence of power steering of course.

...and props to mattback, I missed the majority of his time on course, but caught some good drifts of his.

I don't see any results on the sunriders website, can somebody post a direct link? I think there's some IE only shenanigans in that web-design.

Last edited by neurovish; 11-15-2003 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:46 PM
MASTER BREWER:HOT TEA

http://www.sunridersautocross.com/sr...v03ByClass.pdf

I think I er ummmm, I mean the dog took a bite outta that doughnut oh yeah thats it! the dog...
Old 11-15-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by neurovish
I like the idea of FTD getting a donut, it will add more of a competitive spirit to SR events, which everyone says is lacking. This should become an SR tradition...I for one really wanted that donut and will spend my time during the off season meditating and thinking zen thoughts about my suspension.
Mmmm.... <drool>... Dooooonuts.
Loren, what were your impressions of the s14? Did anything really seem lacking in a 'damn if only this car had.......' kind of way? Other than the presence of power steering of course.
It seemed to handle quite well overall. I could probably do without the power steering, or at least find some way to tighten things up and make it more responsive. Stiffer springs? Swaybars? It seemed a little sluggish coming out of the turns, (that's saying a lot coming from a Miata guy!) a little more power would be helpful. And, of course, tires would help A LOT. I'd do that first.

Is anyone else having problems getting the results? Give me some more feedback if you are. As in, what's the problem, what browser are you using, etc. I can bounce it off the webmaster and see if there's anything we can do. Probably don't need to clutter the forum with that. Just sent me an email.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:26 PM
bucket

Originally posted by Loren
[B
It seemed to handle quite well overall. I could probably do without the power steering, or at least find some way to tighten things up and make it more responsive. Stiffer springs? Swaybars? It seemed a little sluggish coming out of the turns, (that's saying a lot coming from a Miata guy!) a little more power would be helpful. And, of course, tires would help A LOT. I'd do that first.[/B]
Hmm, I'm surprised it's sluggish coming out of the turns...must've been all the extra weight
I've actually got my eye on a set of cams when I'm done with my suspension, not sure what I am going to spend money on after that though...springs and swaybars i should have pretty soon. I'm also planning on replacing all the suspension bushings and going with pillow ball where available (and affordable). I don't think i can live without my power steering though...not yet at least, maybe when I can get another car to use for daily driving.

I also hope to have a dedicated set of wheels for autocrossing next season, sheathed in Azenis of course.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by neurovish
I don't think i can live without my power steering though...not yet at least, maybe when I can get another car to use for daily driving.
It's really not that bad once you adapt your driving to it. You learn not to try to turn when you're not moving. And then when you ARE moving, you can really feel what the car is doing. You get used to it. Then you get into someone's car that has power steering and it just doesn't feel right.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:39 PM
The Hoff

i started out ds'ing into 1st on that tight corner toward the end of the course and with my traction impaired car/short gears figured it out really quickly that 1st gear was not the right move. I def need some better tires...the Pirellis were not cutting it. was having traction issues the entire way through the rear straight/slalom. helluva lot of fun and i cant wait for the next one.

2009 Ford Escape - Stock Toy Hauler/DD

2007 Lexus RX350 - Stock Wife Hauler

2009 Kosmic - The Toy - 125cc Vortex Super Rok TAG, (For Sale - $2800)

2007 Intrepid Silverstone - The Faster Toy - CR125 6-Speed
Old 11-15-2003, 08:42 PM
The Hoff

Originally posted by OversteerS2K
For the postage stamp lot you had to work with, Brian, it turned out well. It certainly was a challenge when combined with that sealer. I slid all over hell. Well, every RWD did. And the 1st gear issue went away for me...I just let it crawl out of turns in 2nd.

It looked like a whole lot of drivers got better at the transition from a 50 MPH sweeper to a first gear, tire smokin', hairpin.

There needs to be a drift event there. Every time I blew a run I just tried to slide the back end as much as possible.... I see why that stuff's gettin' trendy - it's fun. How do you score a drifting comp. though? "Style" points? It's definitely NOT the fast way through 75% of those turns today.

When I eventually get some more memory and a capture card I'll send Loren some video. I taped several Miata's, the 540, M-3 Conv., the Stalker, the drifter 240, and some slow brown Datsun . You'll get your revenge next weekend where all my mistakes will cost seconds, not tenths.
keep me updated on whether or not you can get the vids up...would love to see it.

Old 11-16-2003, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by 99TL
i started out ds'ing into 1st on that tight corner toward the end of the course and with my traction impaired car/short gears figured it out really quickly that 1st gear was not the right move. I def need some better tires...the Pirellis were not cutting it. was having traction issues the entire way through the rear straight/slalom. helluva lot of fun and i cant wait for the next one.
Which Pirelli's do you have? Are they old and dead? If they're still relatively fresh and have some life left in them, it could be a tire pressure issue. I've found that Pirelli's tend to like higher pressures and really don't stick or respond as they should without them. The P44's (anybody remember those?), P700Z's (yeah, the're gone, too) and the P-Zero Assym's all had the same characteristics as far as that goes. Without enough pressure, the steering response wasn't there, and they would squeal like a pig rather than grip the pavement.

And there really isn't much grip to be had out at SPCC, anyway.

Sealed asphalt is an "entertaining" surface to drive on.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:02 AM
The Hoff

they are pirelli p-zero rossas. i was running them @ 42psi and they have probably about 1500 miles on them. I had Toyo t1-s' previously and the Pirellis really just don't compare. Next set of tires i get will most likely be some azenis' though.

I enjoyed the sealed asphaly though... power on oversteer was my friend in several cases.

Old 11-16-2003, 05:03 AM
The Hoff

my fronts are toyo fz4's....i was just having traction problems under acceleration.