Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

What subs to buy............?

Old 06-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Just Ledoux it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

360w/sub or total?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:12 PM

Tom.

Don't know what kind of amp you are running... but here are a few things you should consider:

Make sure your amp has a low pass filter so you send pure bass signal to your sub. W/O the filter, your sub will sound like crap. Can you run your sub in bridged mode? If so, the 360 Watts (4 ohm) can be turned into 720 Watts (2 Ohm) depending on how you wire your subs. How much space do you have in your trunk for sub boxes? Do you want maximum thump (bandpass) or tight bass (sealed)? There is a skewl of thought that the enclosure has a greater effect on sound than the sub itself.

I like JL subs myself. I have a 1100 Watt Eclipse amp running a 10W3 DVC 4 ohm JL sub in an undersized sealed box. Bass is very tight, but the amp is overkill and requires a 1 Farad cap and 8 gauge wiring.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:48 PM

Tom,

Doesn't look like the sub channel on your amp can be bridged. Looks like the listed rating is RMS vs. the Alpine which is max power. RMS is more meaningful when comparing amps. Max power to RMS gives you some indication of dynamic range.

If you wire your subs to present a 2 Ohm impedance (most speakers are 4 ohm) to the amp, then the amp will actually be putting out 500 watts from the single sub channel.

Given that you need tight low hitting bass, I'd go for a sealed box and position it in your trunk so that it is corner loaded. I'd also skip the 2 sub config and go for a single 15" sub with dual voice coils and wire for 2 Ohms. The 15 will hit lower and give you room to grow with a higher power handling limit. I like the JL 15W3 for best value. But, I'd drool over a 15W7.

If you got the RSX Type S, then you also probably have the Bose sound system. Do you want to sell the factory sub that came with your car?
Old 06-02-2002, 05:37 PM

2 rockford 12's in a custom fiberglass box seems to be the hot ticket right now. Brad (installer at streetheat) was selected as one of the top 18 installers in the united states and can do anything from the rsx on the cover of Car Sound Magazine, to a simple, lightweight setup. Anyway, if you are interested I'll get you a reasonable price since you da man. Call me up 727-210-0380
Old 06-02-2002, 06:47 PM
whoopdy fucking do!

i'd say jl audio is by far the best bang for the buck! audiobahn subs can be had for cheap as well, but will not sound as good.

orion xtr's wouls also sound good in that watt class.

best wqay to ge the most out of your amp is to run it at two ohms... id get two svc's and parallel them......

jl w0' 10's run about 90 bucksa and oroin xtr's as well--- both good subs... for cheap.....