Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Need Alarm System ASAP...

Old 08-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Alarm System ASAP...

I need to purchase an alarm system and i'm not sure how easy they are to install so possibly someone to install it too. Whats a good brand and who can do it professionally? Not sure if this is the right forum either lol Thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Maximaniac

This is the right forum.

DEI (Viper/Clifford/Python being their higher end lines) is the most notable brand for automotive security, and if bought and installed at an authorized dealer, the alarm will have a lifetime warranty. There are a few other decent name brands out there, but the DEI brands are generally regarded as the best, and they do have great support.

The install is only a couple hours for an experienced installer (probably less if this is going on the 96 civic), but being that you need to tap into factory wiring in multiple locations, I don't recommend attempting it. Probe one wrong wire and an airbag can go boom, ecu can fry, etc. It happens time and time again, threads on here just like this one, then a couple days later another one saying 'help, my car won't start.'

If you post up your location someone here can probably help you with a recommendation for a good shop/installer. Is this going in the 96 Civic?
There will be probably be a wide range of estimates you get if you shop around, but keep in mind that the DEI stuff is going to be on the higher side of that range because they aren't after the 'cheap' market.
At MCOR Automotive, we typically do the Viper 350+ as a basic alarm/keyless entry with shock sensor, starter kill, siren, etc, all the basics. It goes for $239 according to DEI's SRP, so even though we usually do TR discounts, that will give you a high-end ballpark price. I'm not sure how soon you mean by ASAP or what our schedule looks like this week, but give the shop a call or swing by if you are in the area. Our info is in our forum, in the signature of any posts by MCOR (Matt, the owner).
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered Hater

thanks for the help, and yes it is going in the 96 Civic. I know my car came with keyless entry and what not but the previous owner lost the remotes and I think the security system may have been on the factory head unit or something like that. I live in Hernando county so most likely i'm going for a bit of a drive to get it done. I would like to get it done sometime this week. I'm not sure if its something that is done in a day, weekends would really be the best time for me but most places probally arent open.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Maximaniac

Yes, 96-98 Civics with factory keyless entry, for whatever reason Honda decided to run it through the factory radio.

It should be much less than a days work. Our shop hours are Mon through Sat 9am-5pm, although it usually becomes 8:30am-5:30pm finishing cars up.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

kpr10is pretty much covered it. We are the closest shop to your area that is represented here. Not much to choose from up your way. Most TR members from the Pasco/Hernando area end up at MCOR. Kevin can have your alarm installed in a couple of hours-maybe faster if you wait.

And contact us for TR pricing-we ALWAYS take care of TR members (so much so that DEI is aware of our professional affiliation with this website and even helps us put together group buys for members/clubs here-good stuff)...

MCOR Automotive LLC
mcorautomotivellc@verizon.net
www.mcorautomotive.com
1635 Dale Mabry Hwy Ste 3
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"