Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

two sources one input, how to make it happen automatically

Old 08-31-2008, 05:19 PM
is better than you™

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question two sources one input, how to make it happen automatically

i'm wiring an auxiliary input into my 1999 lexus gs300 via the sound outputs on the cd changer. i'm going to keep the cd changer on there as its useful and what i want to do is be able to plug my mp3 player in and half it automatically switch over from the cd to mp3 input

i have figured out how to do it with a switch, piece of cake. what i have not figured out is how to not have to throw a switch manually

basically what i'm asking is do any of you know how to wire or where to buy a part that allows two line level sources to be hooked to one input with no bleed over?

i've found ones for home theater use that cost over 100 bucks, i can wire it with a switch for under 20, i'd like to make it automatic for not a lot as its just a vanity thing not a necessity.

thanks guys
-james

Old 08-31-2008, 05:37 PM

We have used products in the past from Vaistech:
Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod integration,XM and Sirius SAT radio integration,MP3 integration,Auxiliary input)
This SLI unit is what we have generally installed on Lexus vehicles with no problems. However, call tech support at Phone: 720-733-2348 because we have only used it on later model Lexus (post 2001). If it is not the same and they don't make a unit for it, you could try Peripheral by AAMP or Axxces by Metra. We are a Peripheral authorized distributor but we only stock their late model iPod/HD radio integration units at this time. Their website is:

Peripheral Electronics

I don't see a listing for your vehicle however. Post your results of what you come up with anyway for others looking for that answer please!

MCOR Automotive LLC
mcorautomotivellc@verizon.net
www.mcorautomotive.com
1635 Dale Mabry Hwy Ste 3
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"
Old 09-01-2008, 07:22 AM
is better than you™

I've actually looked into those SLI units before they said it 'might' work, but since the wiring harness on the early and later model gs is different I'm thinking it probably will not work properly (and I'm not really worried about having the radio control the player)

As of right now i just have the Auxiliary in hardwired with no switch so I push CD and the mp3 player comes on with controllers on the player not the head unit. As long as there is a CD in the changer it works the head unit things the CD is playing and all works fine and sounds very good.

If I could find a call it 1/4 in female that was also a switch (plug in completes circuit sends power the rest of the way threw the system triggering the relay) i could just use a 4dpt relay and have everything be automatic. But I have not been able to find one.

If i was going to use a switch that i have to throw to make it all work i would just get one of these and be done with everything, no relays with power sources to activate them or any of that fun stuff

Last edited by jriggs; 09-01-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM
is better than you™

alright i've figured out what i'm going to try, now if any one knows where to find a 1/8th in jacks that will act as a switch once something is inserted i'll be set and have a cd changer and mp3 player/dvdplayer whatever i want sound input

thanks guys
-james

Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Good luck on that one. The closest thing I have seen is the Sirius FMDA25 FM Modulator (manufactured by Directed). For about $25, You could purchase one and maybe reverse engineer it maybe?

MCOR Automotive LLC
www.mcorautomotive.com
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
is better than you™

i called a couple electroinic parts supply companies today. one carries it but they are out of stock, they should be back in stock in a week or so when there stuff comes in from china. they will call me as soon as they are in stock

i'm still looking to grab one local if anyone runs across them

its a shame i don't want to do it with a 1/4in jack everywhere has those in stock even radio shack said they could have it by the end of the week

soon i'll be using something like this (but with a built in switch) and a pice simmialr to this for a sweet hard wired auxiliary input and usable cd changer, i'm a happy camper

Last edited by jriggs; 09-02-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 AM

Post pics/schematic of how you wired this when its done. I like this idea-if you're successful, this makes for another really good universal integration option.

MCOR Automotive LLC
www.mcorautomotive.com
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 AM
is better than you™

will do when everything comes in, total cost will be under 25 bucks for everything, i don't think you can beat that for an auxiliary input that has good sound quality