Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Interesting: Underpowering Subwoofers

Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 PM
isuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting: Underpowering Subwoofers

Too Little Power Blowing Speakers

I came across that today, interesting little read. I'm wondering about the validity of that guide he made.

Right now I have two D6 subwoofers running at 600watt each and an amp that's driving the two of them. The amp generally runs at ~1000 watts rms. It tops out at about 1200 or so only when the car's voltage is at 14v. Of course, my car is not always at that voltage, so the amp is never "theoretically" putting out that power.
But my question is, If when i decided to try and max the crap out of the whole system, just turned the system up to a point where audibly i thought it was damaging the speakers themselves... are they?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:07 PM
King of Ricers

• If your speakers are capable of handling significantly more than your amplifier can produce, driving them with a clipped signal will not likely hurt them.
  • If the speakers can handle 3 or 4 times the power that your amplifier can produce, there's virtually no way to damage your speakers (no matter how clipped the signal is).
  • If your speakers are rated for the same power handling as your amplifier is capable of producing cleanly, driving them with a clipped signal for extended periods of time may cause speaker damage and/or premature failure.
  • If your speakers are rated for the same power handling as your amplifier is capable of producing cleanly, driving them with a square wave signal for extended periods of time will likely cause speaker damage.
He really knows what he is talking about but the introduction is somewhat misleading. he is just saying you wont blow a 1000wrms(thermal) subwoofer with a 200wrms amp. that doesnt mean a 900w amp wont damage the same sub however.

Basically what he wrote is what common sense should tell you.

But I dont get why he repeated the same twice thing at the end...

I think what he meant was if your amp produces a higher RMS wattage of power than the speakers can handle you will cause damage.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
isuck

Originally Posted by NoTLaDStyle
He really knows what he is talking about but the introduction is somewhat misleading. he is just saying you wont blow a 1000wrms(thermal) subwoofer with a 200wrms amp. that doesnt mean a 900w amp wont damage the same sub however.

Basically what he wrote is what common sense should tell you.

But I dont get why he repeated the same twice thing at the end...

I think what he meant was if your amp produces a higher RMS wattage of power than the speakers can handle you will cause damage.

hmmm, thats what i mostly gathered.
I'm curious though why anyone would get such a higher power subwoofer and then crap out on the amp (i took this from a thread where a guy DID get 2 800 watt subwoofers and a 200 watt amp)

I also had another question but i forgot, i'll post it up later when i can remember what it was.

arent you supposed to be doing your homework? karen's going to kick your ass.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 PM
fails.....

i'm pretty sure i got most of that
heres the question i have that i can't quite figure out

your speaker has an rms of 35watts and a max of 180watts
your amp is a 75 watt 2 channel amp.

i guess the first question to ask for clearity is, is 75 watt 2 channel amp 75 watts per channel or total? I'm thinking that is the total. If so, it is ~37 watts per channel. That 37 plus the original 45 from the head unit would put it right about 85 watts. Would that cause those speakers an issue?
I know that is just the peak wattage, but the head unit and amp put out a pretty constant power level that is higher than the speaker's rms.

thanks for the clearity
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM
King of Ricers

Originally Posted by norachelhere
i'm pretty sure i got most of that
heres the question i have that i can't quite figure out

your speaker has an rms of 35watts and a max of 180watts
your amp is a 75 watt 2 channel amp.

i guess the first question to ask for clearity is, is 75 watt 2 channel amp 75 watts per channel or total? I'm thinking that is the total. If so, it is ~37 watts per channel. That 37 plus the original 45 from the head unit would put it right about 85 watts. Would that cause those speakers an issue?
I know that is just the peak wattage, but the head unit and amp put out a pretty constant power level that is higher than the speaker's rms.

thanks for the clearity
you cannot combine power like that at all. The head units power isn't used at all if theres an amp. The amps output power depends on the model.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:08 PM

He basicly saying clipping is the cause for blown speakers (besides sending WAY too much power and making the VC smell nice).

Alarm: Viper 5200
HU: Stock
Active Set-Up
Tweets: Image Dyamics CD1pro mini horns
Mids: Sundown Neo Pro 8s
Amp: Kicker IX500.4 (2)
Sub Stage
Subs: (2) Dayton Audio 15" HF
Amp: Kicker IX1000.1
Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
isuck

Originally Posted by NoTLaDStyle
you cannot combine power like that at all. The head units power isn't used at all if theres an amp. The amps output power depends on the model.
I was confused too, did you say connecting the headunit's internal amp to your speakers and presenting that as a load to the amplifier??? i'm confused as hell
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM

I kn
Originally Posted by P057
I was confused too, did you say connecting the headunit's internal amp to your speakers and presenting that as a load to the amplifier??? i'm confused as hell
I know some one that bridged a Sony HU to a 15" RE SX that thing was burnt to crisp.

Alarm: Viper 5200
HU: Stock
Active Set-Up
Tweets: Image Dyamics CD1pro mini horns
Mids: Sundown Neo Pro 8s
Amp: Kicker IX500.4 (2)
Sub Stage
Subs: (2) Dayton Audio 15" HF
Amp: Kicker IX1000.1
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 AM
King of Ricers

Originally Posted by the727kid
I kn

I know some one that bridged a Sony HU to a 15" RE SX that thing was burnt to crisp.
the headunit wouldnt get burned(unless it was a 1ohm load) it just wouldnt move the sub at all.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 AM
All American, rice eater!

first thing, not ever manufacture rates there products the same. I think it is more important that you do not clip you amp and preventing this your speakers would less likly have a problem, remeber a system at full volume is not producing the same continous wattage because the music it self changes and different fq and intensity of the sound increase/decreases actual output, i would rather over power a speaker than under power it, that is the real use of the gain and preventing clipping (which id dc voltage to your speakers) will save you equiptment