Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

12v HU lead VS antenna

Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM
isuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v HU lead VS antenna

Hey guys i know some of you know about the problem i have with the 12v remote turn on lead.

i was looking at the spec sheet for my Phoenix Gold octane amp and it said that i can connect to either the antenna turn-on thing or the engine turn on cable (12v im currently using). I know that this is still probably the dumbest thing to do but im just curious

plus

if/when i get a relay, HOW do i connect it, can someone give me step by step? I plan to use three amps.

thanks for anyone who can write it up for me =D.

pictures up soon of my progress.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:11 PM
King of Ricers

antenna lead only turns on with the radio - as in it is meant to power an electric antenna that raises and lowers when needed. Unless you only want sound when listening to the radio, do not use this wire.

as for the relay, someone with better teaching skills than me will have to explain it. I know how it works, I can install it, I just cant teach someone else.

Last edited by Notladstyle; 06-04-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:40 PM
isuck

poop, i was afraid of something like that.

Yeah I guess i'll wait till someone *hopefully* posts a little guide.
I give up for today, my back hurts and i'm having trouble keeping this pizza down. So far i have almost all of the wires connected to the back of the amps so i can just throw them in there and they'll be halfway connected, the 2ga wire is run to the trunk and just waiting for the distro block.

(rant)
I swear i hate i cant get anything done right because people are bothering me the whole day. Mom gets a flat for running over board with nails on them and she tells me to go take it to tires plus to get it fixed. sister's car doesnt start because she doesnt know how to start it. friend calls to bitch at me why i havent met her parents yet so i can get to know them and i can move into an apartment with her. I have to mow the lawn.
(/rant)
Old 06-04-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by P057
Hey guys i know some of you know about the problem i have with the 12v remote turn on lead.

i was looking at the spec sheet for my Phoenix Gold octane amp and it said that i can connect to either the antenna turn-on thing or the engine turn on cable (12v im currently using). I know that this is still probably the dumbest thing to do but im just curious

plus

if/when i get a relay, HOW do i connect it, can someone give me step by step? I plan to use three amps.

thanks for anyone who can write it up for me =D.

pictures up soon of my progress.
Relays are a whole world in themselves, and have to rank in the top 3 things audio installers / hobbiests should learn to use. Maybe we'll do a relay class at one of the meets, or something. The secret is to learn how they work, vs. memorizing lots of diagrams.

Your case is pretty simple, if I'm reading it correctly. You have a low current 12 v lead, that you want to use to turn on several amps. Hook the relay up as follows:

Pin #85 to ground
Pin #86 to the 12v lead coming from your headunit
Pin #30 to 12v constant (like at your amps)
Pin #87 to the remote turn on connections on the amps you want to turn on.

Long story short, the relay is a magnetic switch. When it power at power at #86, it will pull a contact over, that will connect pin 30 to pin 87.

Toby

BlackDog Racing
BlackDog Speed Shop

Lincolnshire, IL

Old 06-04-2006, 06:19 PM
isuck

Originally Posted by TJElite
Pin #85 to ground
Pin #86 to the 12v lead coming from your headunit
Pin #30 to 12v constant (like at your amps)
Pin #87 to the remote turn on connections on the amps you want to turn on.
I sorta understand. One thing im still stuck on as i was with when Dalton told me was the Pin #30 thing you're telling me.... where exactly do i get that source from, what size wire?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by P057
I sorta understand. One thing im still stuck on as i was with when Dalton told me was the Pin #30 thing you're telling me.... where exactly do i get that source from, what size wire?

You get that source from a 12v constant....ie, your battery. Hence why Toby suggested your amp's battery lead as a shortcut, rather than running another wire all the way to the front of your car. You don't need thick wire, something around 16 gauge should work fine.