Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Kicker SPL???

Old 06-10-2005, 07:53 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Kicker SPL???

Alright, I have just aquired 2 12" Kicker L7's with a SX1250.1 Amp. I have a '02 Sentra SE-R and limited trunk space. Bearing in mind, I want these subs to be as loud as possible without taking up my whole trunk. I have talked to some people who said the loudest would probably be a vented enclosure facing the cabin with the seats folded down. But I don't want to drive around town with my seats folded down everywhere I go. What are some other possibilities I would have?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:02 AM
O.G. ScOoBy L.O.C.

get a ported box not vented... i have a vented box in my accord and i have to have the seats folded down and i hate that shit... get a ported box and put it securely so that it doesnt move around on you in your trunk

My Car For Sale
Old 06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Just Ledoux it!

Originally Posted by ScOoByZLOCiN
get a ported box not vented... i have a vented box in my accord and i have to have the seats folded down and i hate that shit... get a ported box and put it securely so that it doesnt move around on you in your trunk
Please elaborate on teh differences between ported and vented. I want to hear this.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:09 AM
O.G. ScOoBy L.O.C.

isnt a ported box the one that comes with those plastic circular tubes or am i thinking bandpass..?? cuz i have a vented box and it has that big ass slot on the side

My Car For Sale
Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Just Ledoux it!

isnt a ported box the one that comes with those plastic circular tubes or am i thinking bandpass..?? cuz i have a vented box and it has that big ass slot on the side
port: An opening, as in a cylinder or valve face, for the passage of steam or fluid

vent: An opening permitting the escape of fumes, a liquid, a gas, or steam

From dictionary.com

Ported and vented are the same names for different things.. six of one, half dozen of another type of thing.

Bandpass is a totally different animal.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:13 AM
O.G. ScOoBy L.O.C.

ok well regardless i still have to put my seat down for my box to sound how its supposed to and it sucks a big ass ... i dont recommend it

My Car For Sale
Old 06-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Just Ledoux it!

ok well regardless i still have to put my seat down for my box to sound how its supposed to and it sucks a big ass ... i dont recommend it
It's not the boxes fault, its your cars fault. If you put a small sealed, bandpass, snailshell or whatever, the transmission from trunk to cabin will ALWAYS be attenuated from the sheer sheetmetal, and lack of interconneted airspace. IE why Hatches, suv's, trucks, and vans, always seem louder.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 AM
O.G. ScOoBy L.O.C.

oh yeah let me tell my car to stop being a 4 door

My Car For Sale
Old 06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Just Ledoux it!

Oh and to get to the original poster's question (finally )

A ported/vented (for simplicity's sake) Facing the rear of the car will GENERALLY be one of the better ways to align the box. It allows for the reflected waves off the trunk to be closer to phase with the original wave already moving toward you. BUT THE TRUE SOLOUTION.

Build the ported box, and put it in your trunk. Move it around, face it different directions, angles, distances from the trunk etc, until you find the loudest location. Good sound is 10 percent product and 90 percent install.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Just Ledoux it!

oh yeah let me tell my car to stop being a 4 door
I drove a civic coupe for 2 years, I know all about the woes of the trunk enabled. There aint shit all you can do about it besides maybe cut the rear deck out, or take the rear speakers out etc. It still wont equal up to a hatch or suv.