Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

neons vs l.e.d. kits

Old 06-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neons vs l.e.d. kits

i personally hate them but my girlfriend want me to buy her a neon underbody kit for her car. i know ill never here the end of it if i dont so here my ?.... do the l.e.d. kits glow brighter than the neon tubes or what? what look better under a car? really what im asking is i found a led kit that 10 bucks more then the neon kit....should i spen the extra 10 bucks?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:01 PM
It's a wooden pickle.

you obviously don't beat her enough.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:28 PM

are u kidding me....she beats me lol
Old 06-06-2005, 04:56 PM

anyone?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Dalton(notladstyle) has to have an answer for this one
Old 06-10-2005, 07:50 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

really dosent matter that much l.e.d.s may glow a little bit brighter but not much ,i dont really know much about them but id say just go with neon kit
Old 06-10-2005, 08:09 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals.

Arrow

Dude, go with LED's. They do glow a little brighter, the glass wont shatter like neons do, and their lifetime is much greater than neons. Definately worth the 10 bucks! Plus, with a control module, the LED's can do all sorts of crazy things neons can't. (strobe, pulse, music dancing, zig zag, etc., etc.)
Hope that helps.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Just Ledoux it!

Originally Posted by integralsgreen
Dalton(notladstyle) has to have an answer for this one

He's the one I'd ask about this. This little ahq community is so tight knit
Old 06-10-2005, 12:26 PM
King of Ricers

Haha, you cant answer this question without more info about the kit your buying.

A typical led kit will last forever. LED lights are generally rated at 100,000 hours or 10 years of constant running. I would wager an LED kit would outlast your car. Neon kits are usually rated at 5,000 hours (not even one year). How often do you actually run your ground fx?.

Neons will be brighter in hte BEGGINING of their life. theywill lose 30% of their brightness during the first third of their life. Then slowly dim to about half intensity over the remainder. Neons also have hotspots(brighter spots in the middle). LEDs will remain at 90% of their intensity their whole life and no hotspots.

Neons are much more fragile. One tap and the tube is gone. I have bottomed out countless times wth my led kit with no damage.

LED kits usually run at 12 Vdc - Neons run at 6000 Vac. it isnt really a safety issue but if a neon kit gets even a tiny amount of water in it, it will short circuit and probably blow the transformer. My neon kit was submerged last year during the hurricanes when I drove down fowler, a flooded street in front of USF, with no problems.

BUT led wins in one area, if you like that gay ricer look with the whole neon below the skirt of the car shining sideways then LED wont be your thing. LEDs shine in a 40 degree angle, which will illuminate the ground quite nicely but you cant see it directly from the side at all.

I have equipped my car with all LED lighting(excluding the headlights) Its just more cost effective.

Oooh ohhh I forgot power. led uses fraction of what neons use. my whole kit consumes 5amps @ 12v in seven colors - my old neon kit used 11 amps @ 12v in green.

notlad -> LED

Last edited by Notladstyle; 06-10-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
King of Ricers

Oh yeah I didnt even mention the control box. Neons can do all kinda of christmas light effects like chase and beat with yoru music and blink really fast to give people epileptic shock.... And if you get the expensive one(or build the controller yourself) you can make then fade through the gamma band like an aura from a paladin on D2