Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Odd happenings...

Old 09-10-2004, 07:50 PM
I Make Movies!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd happenings...

Ok my friend had a system professionally installed, worked well for 5 months, then he blew his subs (two 12 inch MA 1000 watt peak) so he bought some audiobans... blew them in 3 days, returned them, got better audiobans, blew them too.. after all that happened we checked the amps and everything was fine, no blown fuses, the amps werent set to high on the gain (probably should mention that they are Dclass Bazooka 700 watt amps).
Well today he got some pioneer 2000 watt subs.. blew them.. well we checked his fuses on the amps (each had 4 fuses) and the prongs were brittle and a few were broken off in the amp (got them out easily) so we got new fuses and the subs were still good cause they still hit hard (hard enough to make my chest hurt) well out of nowhere the subs went off... fuses where fine on the amps, but no power.. we popped the hood to check the main fuse on the 4 ga. power wire.. the fuse was melted to the fuse box.. pretty fuckin wicked... ill get pics 2morro when he comes back over.. just wondering has anybody had this bad of luck with subs?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Uber 1337

what's the model number on the amp, and the subs? you might be over powering the subs, or you might have the subs wired at a higher ohm.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I Make Movies!

no clue on the model numbers but believe me, he cant be overpowering the 2000 watt max subs with a 700 watt max amp.. and its all at the same ohms, the installer checked it and so did my friends dad...

just thought i would say, we never had any of the levels over half on the gain, bass boost, etc..

Edit: im a complete Newbie to car audio so all i know is what my friend told me
now i bet i could wire up multiple tvs with a live editing studio in a car
Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Just Ledoux it!

Originally posted by BeniBoi09
no clue on the model numbers but believe me, he cant be overpowering the 2000 watt max subs with a 700 watt max amp.. and its all at the same ohms, the installer checked it and so did my friends dad...

just thought i would say, we never had any of the levels over half on the gain, bass boost, etc..

Im saying its not the subs, its the amp. Sounds like its shitting the bed internally
Old 09-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Uber 1337

Originally posted by BeniBoi09

they may have a max wattage of 2000, but the rms is probably 500 or something. if you post the model number for the stuff, we'll be able to tell what is going wrong a little better.

what type of enclosures were these subs in?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:28 PM
I Make Movies!

93ex- he had 2 amps, which both did the same things, so thats why i thought it was so strange..

adero- it makes sense about the rms.. but they were like $150 a sub.. plus the subs are fine...

the box is a MA built box with a lexan(something of the like) window and 4 ports...
Old 09-10-2004, 10:15 PM

It's either the actual amp or the wiring. Goback and make sure the wiring isn't pinched or sliced anywhere.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:27 PM

i meltd my fuse holder also and i have no clue how i did that maybe we have the same problem? but i havent tryd to fix mine yet
Old 09-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Redneck Proud

i have melted a fuse holder too and the reason was i was drawing to much current. It sounds like the speakers are wired below the amps ability of "700" watts. What is the box tuned to? How low was the music going when the subs blew? It sounds like something in the wiring is bad.

Southern Pride not racism
Old 09-11-2004, 03:31 PM
eli

i melted a fuse holder also only cause i was excessively playing my music to loud trying to be cool. just sounds like he needs new amps. bazooka isnt really the best shit.