Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

blowing fuses?

Old 02-11-2004, 02:43 PM
eli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing fuses?

this is starting to irritate me a little. well as some know i installed a new door amp. its working fine. the way we did it was ran all the speakers to the amp from front to back. and i bought a distribution block w/ the fuses. we ran the correct gauge wire for the block, and we ran a remote line from my sub amp over to my door amp. there both grounded fine. well yesterday(monday) i was coming out of school and i turned up my music at a pretty loud volume, i heard static then a pop and a smell of smoke. i was like wtf. immediately stopped the car and went to my amps. my door amp was on, but i look over at my sub amp it is off. so i check the distrubution block and what do u know the fuse is blown. i thought it was really odd, cause ive never had a problem with my sub amp ever. i checked the fuse by my battery also and it was fine too. so i turned the radio down completely and proceeded to the place i bought my block from. i wanted to see if theyd replace the fuse or have a bigger gauge fuse for me. the one in there was 60 i believe. and im sure they make 80 cause that is what is inside the fuse holder next to my battery. i went there they said this is the biggest fuse they make and gave me a 60 gauge again. popped it in and it worked. well the day after (today, wed.) i got in my car in the morning for school and turned the music all the way down cause it was early. followed down the street turned it up and i heard no bass. stopped the car again and checked the block. fuses were fine but the sub amp was off. i grab a extra 60 gauge fuse and popped it in and it worked. i checked the fuse that was in tehre and it looked brand new.

so long story short, what would cause my sub amp to keep popping fuses. its a good amp. mmatt and ive never had problems like this before. thanks guys again.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Just Ledoux it!

You have a good ground? there isnt any exposed wire... nothign shorting out...
Old 02-11-2004, 03:52 PM

That's an easy one...bigger fuse. Go to a car audio store (not a chain store) and get something closer to a 100amp fuse. I'm willing to bet you'll never have the problem again.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:11 PM
eli

thanks. the place ive been gettin mine from is on gun hwy Audio something..... across from racetrac gas station. good guys. they only charge .50 cents a fuse. other places its like 1-6$. wtf is up with that. where can i find this 100 amp fuse cause i went to buzz off and anoter car place and teh biggest they had was 60. thanks guys.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:56 AM

What type of fuses does it take? If it's ANL, it should be easy to find 100+amp fuses...otherwise for AGU style, 80 amp seems to be the max most common stores. I'm guessing you've got AGU? If so, here's a 80amp that would probably work.... http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/STRAGU80
Old 02-13-2004, 10:01 AM
RIP PABLO THE MAN GARCIA

check your subs i kept blowing amp fuses and my sub was blown
Old 02-13-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by TBSpyder
That's an easy one...bigger fuse. Go to a car audio store (not a chain store) and get something closer to a 100amp fuse. I'm willing to bet you'll never have the problem again.
Thats not really a good idea, thats rule number 1, when trouble shooting. Never replace a blown fuse with a larger one, especially when, your same system set up, has never blown a certain gauge fuse in the past. Consider all possibilities 1st

I take it that you have 3 fuses in your total system, one for each amp and your main line fuse. Normally the main line fuse is just as big as the largest fuse in your system or a bit larger. If your largest amp is 60 then the main line could be 60 or 80.

My advice before you replace for a larger fuse, is to read your voltage level at each amp, then at the main line. The voltage should be constant through out the line.

Or your ground may be bad: Heres a few check offs- Do you have both amps grounded in the same location or at a virtual common point? Like the Chassi of the car. How long is your ground wire? Whats fusing requirements for each amp and do you have that in your distrobusion block.

If totaly all else fails then do what ma boy TBSpyder says.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by paconyx
Thats not really a good idea, thats rule number 1, when trouble shooting. Never replace a blown fuse with a larger one, especially when, your same system set up, has never blown a certain gauge fuse in the past.

I don't believe he has the same setup though. If I'm not mistaken he added another amp. I'm willing to bet the increased current draw from the additional amp is the cause. Hence why he said it only blows when he cranks the volume up.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:46 AM
eli

yes tbs is right. i did add another amp. i added one to run all 4 of my doors. and its the fuse in the distributor for my sub amp that keeps blowing, although it hasnt blown in a few days. i turned the gain down for now until i get a bigger fuse.