Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Do it yourself...why not?

Old 01-07-2004, 08:57 PM
is not Rotarded anymore!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TBSpyder
Yeah, it's ashame all audio shops don't require MECP certification or some sort of assurance that the person pulling your car apart is more than qualified for the job. Guess that's what seperates the good shops from the bad, and I'm sure pricing reflects this as well.

BTW, you're the first girl I've ever heard of actually installing car audio (or even interested for that matter). Most girls I meet couldn't even tell you what a subwoofer is. I'm impressed.

My sister is decent with car stereo and knows the basics and a little more.. I try to teacher her.... but it dosnr happen really fast.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:22 AM

personally i dont think being MECP certified means much.. all it is now is a written test that you can take a cram session for and pass it. its really a joke. personally i do my own installations except when i start doing really custom work then i have a particular installer that i go to. but i wouldnt trust the "chain" stores as they just hire ppl of the street pretty much
Old 01-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by slammedciv96
personally i dont think being MECP certified means much.. all it is now is a written test that you can take a cram session for and pass it. its really a joke. personally i do my own installations except when i start doing really custom work then i have a particular installer that i go to. but i wouldnt trust the "chain" stores as they just hire ppl of the street pretty much
MECP certification might not guarantee anything...but it's still better than nothing at all. If you had two people that you've never met before, one MECP certified and one not, which would you rather be paying to disassemble your vehicle and install the equipment you just spend hundreds of dollars on?

And the chain stores could care less about being certified...they're main objective is to install the largest amount of stuff in the shortest amount of time, it's all about making money with them.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Whitey on the Moon

Originally posted by slammedciv96
Not really, maybe on the sales floor they hire people off the street. But the installers know what there doing. At CC citrus park at least.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:48 PM

how about installing a flip up tv? I watched them install my fathers and it seemed to be full of wires hooking the unit to the brains and everything

-garrett
Old 01-10-2004, 06:33 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

I try to do everything on my car even if I don't know how to do it. I figure that by the end, if I'm successful then hey- I'll know how to do it. I'm hoping this theory will hold true even through the engine rebuild and tranny rebuild and rewiring... basically some of the most complicated jobs you could do and I'm going to go into them with practically no knowledge. Worked on the clutch job, though.

Stereo stuff is pretty easy. The only thing I have problems with is the intellectual side, planning out the wiring and designing a box and picking the right equipment. Oh, and glassing, I still haven't done any of that and it looks like something that I'll eventually learn, but only at the expense of spending hours messing up and learning the hard way.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Fear of the unknown, I cannot buy cosmetics and I'm not afraid to admit it. As a man I would be target for getting ripped off, If I became a woman I would start research before I started purchasing.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Just Ledoux it!

Originally posted by Jordan Y.
Stereo stuff is pretty easy. The only thing I have problems with is the intellectual side, planning out the wiring and designing a box and picking the right equipment. Oh, and glassing, I still haven't done any of that and it looks like something that I'll eventually learn, but only at the expense of spending hours messing up and learning the hard way.
It all depends on the teacher
Old 01-11-2004, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by Jordan Y.
I try to do everything on my car even if I don't know how to do it. I figure that by the end, if I'm successful then hey- I'll know how to do it. I'm hoping this theory will hold true even through the engine rebuild and tranny rebuild and rewiring... basically some of the most complicated jobs you could do and I'm going to go into them with practically no knowledge. Worked on the clutch job, though.

good luck on that tranny rebuild that could be a son of a bitch

and make sure you remember your torque settings on the rebuild of the engine

you should be alright
-garrett
Old 01-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Maximaniac

The one time I had any major work done by a shop (AVE Audio) they built a box for my 2 W1 15's and dynomated the whole trunk. At the time, I had the money, and had just built a box for 2 12's for a friend and for 4 12's for my previous car. I was feeling lazy and didnt feel like ripping apart all the panels in my trunk. There was really nothing they could screw up about the work they did which is why I let them do it. But yeah normally, nobody touches my car except me. I cant stand not knowing where the wires are and how they are hooked up and every detail about everything.....yep im anal about my car but im sure im not the only one on here who is lol