American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

cooling

Old 10-02-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling

ok, no one else seems to be using this forum anymore so here's a couple more things. i put dual fans on the radiator, no shroud. these fans flow 3000 cfm each, which my one single fan flowed that much. now when i come to a stop the temp rises quickly, and its hard to keep down. this morning it was absoluetly fine, it stayed 10 degrees colder then the single fan. i know that mean im not flowing enough air through the radiator, but im covering more of the radiator now! and also, my valve cover breathers are smoking, even after i've driven for a while. i touched the radiator while the car was running, the front was cold, and there was really hot air being pulled from the fans on the backside. dunno if that makes a difference or not.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Grandpa

The hot air you feel the fan pull is a good thing. Two fans won't always make the car cooler, sometimes it causes enough air flow restriction and that could make it run warmer than a single fan. I've talked to people who have run a pusher and a puller fan on the same rad. and not have problems.

As far a the breathers smoking, usually a sign of engine seals getting tired.

Last edited by Dano Moparo; 10-03-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:13 PM

crap, this engine has given me nothing but trouble since i've had it, and the warranty is out by 2 months now.crap crap crap.hm, any suggestions? i dont have the time to be down a car while the engine is rebuilt, if thats the case. my neighbor's friend has a 454 that needs rebuilt, and that is what i want in the car. if i want to swap for the big block, do you know what im looking at for new parts?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:14 AM
Has V.I.P in HELL!

headers,motor mounts and bigger front springs..

the valve seals aint nothing to be scared about either..worst comes to worst get some after market alum heads..u will gain power and save weight and engine temps will be cooler.do to the alum hea disapates heat faster.

now for the over heating problem..are u sure u dont have an air bubble in the system..it happens sometimes and can be a pain in the ass..also are u running an after market water pump..if the pump is to strong u will pump water threw the cooling system to fast for it really to cool the engine..i know it sounds weird but the water dont have enough time to suck the heat out the engine.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 PM

lol don't worry, that doesnt sound wierd. Yes, it is a milodin high flow water pump. i had a napa water pump on the engine when we put it in and it lasted a few months. during the winter season, my temp would peg over 250 when the engine was warming up and then cool down and not go past 165. I consulted a few mechanics, one said it was the gauge, got a new gauge and it still did it. one said it was the thermostat, new thermostat and i made sure there was no air in the system. it still pegged over 250 when warming up. finally, my first water pump cracked at the threads where the heater core hoses leave the pump. i got the second water pump, it stopped going to 250 when warming up, but the engine would never stay cool. and i went through a whole bunch of crap to keep the car cool. new heavy duty radiator made for my car with a/c, which i don't have a/c. milodin water pump and 160 thermostat. i've tried about 3 or 4 different mechanical fans, new repo fan shroud, and i've tried about 3 different electric fan setups. and abosutely nothing seems to ever cool down this engine. i would like to take my car on a road trip that is further then 14 miles south on 19 without the fear of over heating lol. driving is ok, but as soon as i hit traffic and sit for even a minute, the temp just shoots straight up.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Has V.I.P in HELL!

hmm u aint got a blown head gasket do u?

your block aint filled at is it..
Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 PM

dunno, this is my first car and im learning everything on it. im not loosing antifreeze, and the antifreeze i put in there like 2 years ago is still just as green as it was coming out of the jug. and i tried to get a gm dealership to look at the engine caues it's a gm crate, but they all played stupid like they don't know what to do so they never looked at the engine. so im not doing that again lol. Any kind of test i could perform to find out if it's a head gasket?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Has V.I.P in HELL!

compression test....pull the valve covers and see if u got milky oil on your rockers...my blown head gasket didn't show signs of milky oil in the pan..i didn't even realize it tell i pulled the engine and the covers..and at that point i was tearing down the engine to part it out..
Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 AM
All American, rice eater!

Do You Have Your Fans Set Up As Pushers Or Pullers,
I Had Clearance Problem So I Put My Electric Fan In Front Of The Radiator And It Pushes The Air Thru - I Have A Big Block With About 650 Hp, And It Never Goes Over 185 Degrees - Traffic, Burnouts, Or Racing... I Would Think You Have A Water Flow Issue, Try Taking You Radator Cap Off - Start The Car And Watch To See If When The Thermostat Opens If You See Fluid Flow.... Try Changinge The Fluid - I Know That Sounds To Easy But - If You Tried All You Said I Would At Least Put New Fluid In It...