American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

New project

Old 02-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Grandpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project

My son has been bothering me for the last year or so about going "all out" on his 73 Charger. 6-7 years ago I couldn't get him to hold a bumper so I could bolt it on, he was to busy trying to make me a grandpa. So my daughter helped me with the Challenger resto. Every time my son and I get into talking about what to build and what its gonna cost, he would get cold feet and backoff. I guess he thought I would pay for this build. Yeah right. A couple weeks ago he starts telling me about this 440 engine this guy he knows has for sale, and how its got 900 hp and its all done, ready to drop in I being the typical father asked him a few questions about it to see what he had to say. Of course thats about all he knew about the motor. Sunday he calls me to ask if I can help pick it up from the guy and take it to my shop. Now I'm suprised, he's actually gonna do something with this tank after all these years. So I go over to this Parkite's house with him. Typical Parkite, complete motor on the stand in the middle of his fucking dining room. My first reaction when I saw it was well maybe he's got something here, but as I got closer I could see this was no 900hp motor, (like I believed it in the first place) I asked the seller what cam was in it, he says it's a .490 lift. I'm like "thats not that, big mines a .509" he says "oh yeah it is, special grind" I left it at that. I don't wanna know what he paid the guy for it, he's a big boy with his own house and makes good money, I still being a dad just dont want to see my kid waste money. I don't trust anybody's rebuild (not even my own) so were gonna take it apart and make sure it's right. All the machine work is done, its got forged pistons in it and a gear drive. He gave him the master rebuild kits for the carbs and a 727 trans Other than that I figure it's probly got about the same 400-450 HP as my 383. Here's the boat anchor in my shop, and yeah its a puke green color. I hope he can stay with this build until it's done. He still has the attention span of a household pet.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
The Happy Mrs.

I was thinking the same thing wondering how long he would stay w/ the project. Hopefully till end, for your sake lol.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:06 PM
70Z

I've seen a lot of weird shit in my old age, but I don't ever recall seeing a Mopar engine painted Sassy Green...LOL!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Grandpa

That color would prob only work for me if the car was the same maybe. Who knows, he changes his mind so often I can never keep up. I hope he is up to the responsibilty of having something with a little more power than his Chevy pickup. The car this motor is going into is his 2nd 73 Charger. The first one he managed to shoot over the median on a slick 49th st. into southbound traffic in front of Joto's one night.