American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

fans

Old 09-20-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fans

are 2 electric fans that i would buy seperatly, just as good as if i buy the same fans from a 4th gen f-body car with a shroud? i want dual fans, but if its cheaper to buy 2 fans seperately and they flow just as much air as a stock dual fan setup on a 4th gen, should i go for the cheaper ones or go ahead and buy the gm ones? o yea, lately i have heard something i was always told the opposite. some people say that coolant needs to flow as fast as possible through the engine and radiator, but i've always been told it needs to be resticted. can anyone clear this up for me? and i also bought a hayden tranny cooler, its going to go in front the of radiator with some brackets im making, but would it be a good idea to throw and electric fan on there too? jesus i ask too many damn questions<~lol
Old 09-20-2005, 05:38 PM

you can run a restrictor instead of a thermostat but with most street cars your better off with a thermostat. but when the thermostat opens it's good to get the water moved threw fast.

when you run a restrictor you want the water to flow threw the motor slowly so the water has time to cool in the radiator. the water is always running threw the motor and radiator.

with a thermostat the water stops flowing thew the radiator and cools in the radiator. but water is still moving threw the block threw the bypass hose. when the thermostat opens you want to get the cold water into the block and close the thermostat fast so the radiator has time to cool the water before the thermostat opens again.

this is how i understand how it works.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:33 AM
The Happy Mrs.

I used to run a t-stat w/ the center knocked out of it. No matter what temp stat I would run it would it would still get hot (200) to quick. The only way to cool it down then was to get the car moving quick. It would still climb w/ the center knocked out when I got stuck sitting through a couple light cylcles, but not as quick. My car has always been the exception to every rule though lol.

I know you've said before you were watching $. But if there is anyway you can get your hands on an aluminum radiator, it's night and day difference.

I have 2 pusher fans in front of my condensor to cool it, the tranny cooler and help out the radiator if needed.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:54 AM

but i mean, can i just order 2 generic fans that pull/push a lot of cfm with no shroud, or should i take duals fans with a shroud off of another car to cool it? and i thank both of you for responding quickly.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:55 PM
The Happy Mrs.

I would think it would depend how the duals w/ a shroud cover your radiator. If the shroud covers it and fits good, a shroud is always better than none. With the duals and no shroud you will have a part of your radiator not getting the air directed towards it.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM

damn, i think that means the more expensive route lol. well, thank you for the help.i guess i'll be ordering those dual fans off ebay soon lol.too bad they dont have aluminum radiators for my car on ebay. but i will get one some day. thank you!