American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

cooling

Old 07-08-2005, 03:13 PM
70Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree that getting rid of the shroud is a huge mistake.

Is your car running hot or overheating? There's a big difference. Also, you say it mostly runs hot when your at a stop. How hot does it get? Does it cool down after you starting driving again? Does it happen even in cooler weather or just on days like today? I mean today was rough. The answer's to these question will probably point you to the problem. Or more questions
Old 07-08-2005, 03:30 PM
70Z

Got distracted writing the last post and forget to say that if the car does start cooling down once your driving you most likely do have an air flow problem.

Which crate motor you get?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:13 PM

yea it will start to cool down once im moving, but i really gota be moving. and it happens moslty when im sitting. and it's just running hot, not overheating. i don't let it get to 240, at about 210 if im in traffic i'll pull over. but if there is a clear shot i'll usually chance it. and it's just the 260 hp 350 lbs of torque with the headers and 4 barrel carb. my . it had the 350 h.o. engine in it and a turbo-hydro 350 with a shift kit. but the car sat for over a year in the driveway-i got it when i was 15, and it was in rough shape. so after a year all the seals went and i had to get another engine and this is the only one i could afford. plus, when the engine was dropped in, my stepdad and neighbor were drunk and mis0aligned the engine and transmission. so now i have a run-of-the-mill turbo 350. i would love some more power, but like i said before i dumped alot of momney into the car. he's an idea
flowtech ceramic coated tri-y headers
flowtech purple hornie header mufflers
chevy 350 crate engine
edelbrock performer series intake manifold
edelbrock performer series 600 cfm carb
aluminum pulleys
milodon high flow water pump and 160 degree thermostat.
new 3 core radiator and upper and lower hoses
new rear suspension-which i need taller shocks
new repo fan shroud
electric pusher fan-which sux completly
im a student machinist so i made a switch panel and a shift lever knob
new dash
auto meter gauges
l-88 style corvette hood with low-tension springs
msd billet distributor
edelbrock valve covers-i got some mickey thompsons if any one wants to look to buy
N.O.S. gauge cluster for the stock tach and gauges-the mounting holes arent damaged
and brakes
lol that about covers what i've done to the car so far.
p.s. thank you for responding so quickly.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:18 AM

ok, here's my story. amc 360, bored 60 over, stock 3 core radiator, stock 7 blade flex fan, stock fan shroud, pusher fan, 180 stat.

this car would run 200 all the time with the push fan running. if the pusher fan wasn't running it would go to 220 when your at a light or had the ac on.

a few months ago i changed the water pump. it was a little longer than the old one. the belt was off by one grove. so i would say it moved the fan 1/2-3/4 inch closer the radiator. i would say the fan is around 1 1/4 inch away from the radiator now.
well geuss what. it stays at 180 all day long now without the pusher fan.