American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

Motor for my 442...

Old 06-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Motor for my 442...

Ok heres the deal. Performance parts for the olds 455 are few and far between. I was thinking today "What if I just put in a chevy 454?". I wanted your guy's (and gals) opinions. I have heard that the cylinder walls and cooling ducts for the olds are superior to that of the chevy, can anyone prove/disprove this?

If I remember correctly hotrod magazine had a shootout between a pontiac 455, chevy 454 and buick 455. All had identical bolt on components and yet the buick thoroughly handed some ass. Are the designs of the motors in GM that different?

The reason I may switch motors is because pretty soon I am going to have some cash, so I was thinking of building up a motor and dropping it in. I have thought of a cadillac 502, but dont know how hard it is to build them up. From what I understand that motor is frequently used as the base block for drag cars...

So I have 3 choices. Use my 455 olds and build it up, use a chevy 454, or a cadillac 502. Keep in mind this motor is going to be fairly low compression because I am definatly going to supercharge this monster.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:13 AM

all three motors are very different...all things equal the Chevy 454/502 will be the cheapest and easiest to get parts for. I like Pontiacs but a chevy big block would be easier to build.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:16 PM

ohhh man somebody else with an olds I thought I was the only one on here with an olds. well if you switch to a Chevy motor like Flastangs said it will be cheaper and easier to build but you have to modify stuff to get that Chevy motor to go in your car. If your serious about getting rid of the 455 I would be interested in it.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:59 PM

I might be selling the entire car at this point. Seems Ive been able to find enough cash for a nice, higher end car like an STi or an EVO MR. It needs a carb, and thats about it.

$9,000 OBO. Ill post pics if you like.

"On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him."
Buddha
Old 06-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

You're going to sell an Olds for a little Japensese econobox?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Don't sell the olds you got an awsome car it probably seems like alot a work to do on an old car like that but it'll be worth it in the end.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:57 PM

trying to talk papa dukes into keeping it... I was supposed to put it for sale about two weeks ago but.... NAH!

It was more of a joke b/c Ive put 4 of our cars for sale the past month.

I might end up keeping the stock olds. The blocks are much stronger on these then Chevys, and its already been rebuilt by the previous owner. I still think it could use some nice forged internals...

Im selling my dodge ram for an econobox. 21 mpg on the highway is fun, but it drops to around 13 in stop and go traffic.

"On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him."
Buddha
Old 06-25-2005, 10:14 PM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

www.mondellotwister.com

Keep the Olds original. If not, then sell it to someone who will.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan
Old 06-26-2005, 08:22 AM

What I choose to do with my vehicle is my decision alone. I have no room for "purists" in my decision making. I for one believe it is the owners choice, not the public what he chooses to do with there vehicle. You seem to be almost ordering me to keep it all olds.

Well the motor is going to be kept olds based, but there is no way in hell that Im going to keep the stock bottom end in. I will keep it in storage, but not in MY motor. Im already sourcing parts for my build up. I am not going to use mondello for all my parts. those guys have inflated all of their prices.

Thanks for your opinion, but what Im doing is my choice, and frankly I dont give two shits what olds purists thinks. If Im going for concours then I will make sure I have every last detail correct. Im not going for that, Im going for true driver. A stock olds cooling system will not keep up in stop and go traffic. A stock olds will not throw over 500hp to the wheel, and a stock olds will definatly not please me if the things I want are not met.

-Keenan

Buddha
Old 06-26-2005, 10:02 AM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

Breathe in...relax....I'm not "ordering" you to do anything. You wanted an opinion, I gave you mine, that's it. You even stated that you may be selling it, so sell it to someone who'll try to keep the Olds the way the factory built it. I'm no purist when it comes to my beloved classic Pontiac, and if I wanted an easy way to go fast, I myself would consider dropping one of those injected BBC crate motors from Chevy, preferrably that 600hp ZL1 aluminum beast anyone can get over the counter. But then again, I'm trying to sell my '81 T/A so I'll leave it as is, a 400 Pontiac between the wheelwells. The Olds motor is very capable and you seem to wanna sell it short for a bandwagon Chevy........Mondello has proven that otherwise.....the 500 Caddy is a cool idea though.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan