American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

Wooo...Hoooo!!

Old 05-21-2005, 05:51 AM
The Happy Mrs.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wooo...Hoooo!!

We rebuilt the carb last night (Holley 650) and I had also bought a set of the assorted plastic cams. I didn't know if they get much wear on them, and they had been on there forever, so I thought now is better than ever to replace them.

Well I didn't know exactly what they do so I was going to change them out w/ the same ones. I did the secondary first, no problem. Then I pull off the one on the primary and it's the same #330 as the back one. I only had the one new one I used on the back. So now I had no idea which new cam to put on since the profiles are diferent, and I didn't know exactly "what" it would be changing mechanically. Well..... I have ALWAYS had this horrible hesitation in the car that I always overcompensated w/ higher timing and/or having to run it way to rich.

Well thanks to Bill, and about 20min staring at these things , he figured out which cam profile I needed to make the throttle come in sooner (I think) and the throttle response is perfect now. I never would have thought something like that was my problem this whole time. Now I can jet it down and no more fouled plugs!!

The car has never run so good, some of it has to be because I rebuilt the carb to
Old 05-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Livin' Large

Once a mullet, always a mullet. I knew it would just be a matter of time 'til I figured out them thar carb cam plastic thingy's.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

A rebuilt carb does wonders. My Caddy runs about 1000 times better since I rebuilt the Q-Jet. I think I may go out in the driveway today and fine tune the fuel mix screws.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:46 AM
The Happy Mrs.

Originally Posted by Frank
A rebuilt carb does wonders.
Thats an understatement! It's been rebuilt many times and the last time probably a yr ago. I didn't do that one though and I'm not sure exactly what all they changed. Just gaskets and jets I think.

It was always hard for me because I had to drive it everyday. I never had time to tune it right and possibly be down w/ out a car for a day or more. Now I can at least not worry about how am I going to get to work the next day.

Messing w/ these diferent cams made a world of diference though.
Once we set the floats we tried to set the air mixture screws *edit-is this the same as the fuel mix screws you mentioned Frank? I was trying to remember, can someone tell me if this was right.....turn the screw in just till the car is about to stall, then back the screw out till it sounds like its running at its best (in my case once it almost stalled we made one full turn out and left it) Then we did the same to the other side. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

Last edited by HerHotRod; 05-21-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:53 AM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

yeah thats about how i do it. but i try to put someone in the car with it in gear. so you set it to idle its best when your stuck at redlights
Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

Yeah, typically that's how I do it too. Roll it in until you hear popping in the headers and then back it out like a turn. Those are only the idle mix screws though, after you're on the throttle your jets and metering rods take over

Doing the adjustment with the e-brake on and the car in gear is good too, if you have an automatic. Luckily the SS is manual, so all of my adjustments can be made in neutral. The Cadillac on the other hand, is just a pain in my ass.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:57 AM
The Happy Mrs.

Thanks. It had been so long since I had done it, I wasn't sure. I'll recheck it in gear then since we did it in park. The e-brake won't work for me though since it's been broke since I've had the car.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Livin' Large

Originally Posted by HerHotRod
Thanks. It had been so long since I had done it, I wasn't sure. I'll recheck it in gear then since we did it in park. The e-brake won't work for me though since it rusted out and fell off before I ever even got the car
Old 05-21-2005, 10:26 AM
The Happy Mrs.

^^it never ends
Old 05-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

Yeah, the e-brake in my SS has never worked either, don't feel bad.