The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

250K mile 1986 Gt convertible

Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250K mile 1986 Gt convertible

Got a call before Christmas from my buddy in Omaha Nebraska. He has been the owner of a 1986 mustang convertible for 9+ years and has used it as a daily driver for all those years.
He says to me, "I'm getting rid of the '86, do you want it?"
I said how much? He said, "you can have it for free, just come get it out of my garage."

so just after the first of the year I hitched a ride with my Mother who was going back to Omaha after spending a month with us and picked up the car.

not only was he giving me the car, but he gave me all his extra parts. A 5.0L with ported E7's, a complete 5 lug conversion for the front of the car, misc restoration parts and a complete set of moldings for the car.

So with a small trailer I was off, not knowing what to expect with a car with 250,000 miles
Well it ran great all the way back with only one hiccup. I guess she was tired in Kentucky and just quit running at 12:30 in the morning.
An hour later I was back on the road perplexed by the cause that was never determined.

She's rusty, gutted, and just plain ugly but runs absolutely wonderful.
Time to hit the junkyard to look for new quarters, doors,...fenders, but I think the trunk lid and hood are salvageable.

Seems kind of strange, but the floors are completely solid except for the sub-frame connectors that crumbled the first time I used them to jack the car up.

pictures to come.

Last edited by jmdoc66; 01-24-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typos