The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

Latest project

Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think hp will be that high. I went a different route than a max effort stock long block. I went with a dual plane intake and the cam while aggressive compared to the stock part,.. is not as aggressive to make much more than 400hp. That and I would need a much better carb. I'm just using a basic vacuum secondary Holley. I will definitely dyno this motor and have to hit the track at least once to know where I stand in the pecking order. I guessing low 12's maybe high 11's. And easy mid 10's with a 150 shot. The torq spike alone on a 150 shot will send it to roughly 640 ft/lbs. The car should weigh in around 3200 with me in the car. I ran 12.20's@110 with the 306 making roughly 330hp and much less torq,.. so even on a bad day this motor should move out pretty good. I cant wait for the first WS6 or C5 Z06 to come along and my wife puts an air craft carrier on them. Even the new 5.0's will need to be modded pretty good in order to out run my wife. The fun we used to have in her Cobra was priceless. This car will have more motor and less weight,.. from 0 - 100 this car should be lethal on the street. I cant wait. This summer will be a lot of fun.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
see dick run

You can't beat the lsx stuff and it sounds like you got a good deal on the engine. What oil pan are you going to use? I have the truck pan on my 5.3 now and it's almost on the ground. The caddy pan seems to be the way to go.

john
Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stoopid Wendy
You can't beat the lsx stuff and it sounds like you got a good deal on the engine. What oil pan are you going to use? I have the truck pan on my 5.3 now and it's almost on the ground. The caddy pan seems to be the way to go.

john
I'm looking at using the stock Escalade pan,.. but the car will be lowered and it does concern me. The front of it looks like it will clear the steering rack with no problem. But the bottom of the sump looks like it might be a problem. This Escalade pan looks identical to the 5.3 pan thats in my truck. Same filter location and everything. I'm going to be using the AJE k-member and will know how it sits once I get the car back and put the k-member in. I can do some trial fitting then. I have no clue what options I have as far as using other LSx pans.

What other pan would you suggest? How expensive are they? It has to be a rear sump pan like the truck pans to clear the rack and pinion. I'm not too educated on these LSx motors. I'm reading up on them and picking it up. I was an old school Chevy guy back in the day and was more into the big blocks than the small block. But when the L98 and LT1's came along,.. I got away from them and fell out of the loop so to speak. I got into Fords during the 90's and was evolving with the 4.6 mod motors. I know these motors like the back of my hand. The LSx seems to take everything I learned about SBC and SBF motors abd throws the book out the window. I mean a .610 lift cam is no problem as long as the duration is kept under 240. Most stock performance cams come with .550 lift from the factory. Its mind boggling to me.

The more I get into this motor the more I am liking it compared to wrenching on a SBF. The 4.6 motors are a nightmare to wrench on. Confined space in the engine bay make long tubes a wreck,.. dropping the k-member for any little thing was always fun. Being able to get away from all that will be a relief.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Miles.
Can't wait to see it done hurst. I like the planned powerplant. I'm also going the 6.0 route, tho mine will be a LQ4 not LQ9 only because that's what I got for free. Just need to find a block. Also I'll be running a TH400 instead of a TKO. Goodluck bud, can't wait for the paint progress pictures.

Not much difference between the LQ4 and LQ9. Same 317 heads,.. just the LQ4 has a small dish in the middle of the piston. If you keep stock compression you shouldnt have any trouble running 87 octane. There are a couple guys on LS1tech running 10's and low 11s with cam only carb'd LQ4's in stripped down fox coupes.

I'm going a different route. I plan to have working A/C. Power steering, power windows. The back seat wont be going back in and putting a small boom box in its place. Going to run a nice stereo setup with 2 amps. All new interior except for the stock panels,.. plan to just paint them. Headliner, door panels, carpet and console will be all new. Not aiming for the race car bit this time around. Setting it up for the street and what ever it runs at the track will be what it will be. Will not sacrifice any street manners in order to go faster.

Its funny,.. when your younger you want the fastest beast that you can build. You dont mind sacrificing noise, A/C?!? Power brakes?!? Power Steering?!? Vibrations, bad harsh ride with the car throwing itself around in turns like a kid throwing a temper tantrum,.. all in the name of speed. You tell your self that you will never change,.. tell your buddies to shoot you if you ever change,.. and here I am,.. doing a car the complete opposite of what I called my 'Mantra'. I'm even having Bryan paint a stripe that can not be removed into the car. Thats a first for me also. Going to run 18" low wheels with low profile tires when I swore I would never go larger than 17" wheels on a car,.. EVER.

You'll be fine with the LQ4. I got lucky with this one. I found it on Craigslist up in Pensacola for $1200. It has 4994 original miles. All the accessories came with it. It will be pretty much a drop in. There is so much info on the net for doing these swaps,.. I couldnt screw this up if I tried.

From what I've seen Bryan does really good work. He has mine and Dr Dirts car there right now. Both of our cars should come out super nice. I saw some of the work on Dr Dirts car when I was dropping off my car. Excellent work from what I saw. I'm not an expert,.. but I have done a lot of body work and painted a few cars in the past. My problem is that I dont have the patience or the touch (Expertise) when it comes to certain parts of the job. Thats why I let Bryan do my car. I want it to be done right and I feel confident that I will be happy when I get my car back.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 PM
h9

my 357w will be waiting for yah.post up more pics when you get more done.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
refinish artist

Lsx motors a nice,but they are really expensive when it comes to aftermarket parts.

RIP Chester P.Anderson Jr.9/23/05 I love you dad,and miss you very much.

RIP Kevin"Slo SI" 9/13/06,we will miss you homie,time heals wounds but you will never be forgotten
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by harold harper
my 357w will be waiting for yah.post up more pics when you get more done.
I'll run ya,.. or my wife will if I dont. But bare in mind,.. other than a cam and headers,.. the 6.0 will be basically stock.
I cant emphasize this enough,l.. not building a race car. Just a good running street car. But if your running 11's NA then it should be a good race. Will be a while before I put nitrous on this motor. Should be low to mid 10's with a 150 shot. I dont see this car running any single digits with this configuration. The suspension and tire choices wont allow it.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 351coupe
Lsx motors a nice,but they are really expensive when it comes to aftermarket parts.

Not as bad as doing a 4V mod motor. But yeah,.. most cams are $400. Compared to SBF or SBC,.. thats pretty expensive. But at $500 for 2v and $1000 for 4v cams.. its a bargan. I'm actually going with a cheaper cam. The Edelbrock 2216 will be what I'm going with. Found it for $329 on Summit.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
see dick run

Here is a pic of my fairmont with the 5.3 and the aje k-member.

That is a deep pan on the powerglide too. Some guys cut 2" off the truck pans. Here is all you ever needed to know about pans

LSX oil pans - LS1TECH

john
Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stoopid Wendy
Here is a pic of my fairmont with the 5.3 and the aje k-member.

That is a deep pan on the powerglide too. Some guys cut 2" off the truck pans. Here is all you ever needed to know about pans

LSX oil pans - LS1TECH

john

Ouch,. that bugger is sitting low. It looks exactly like this Escalade 6.0 pan. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow when its day light out.

1 hard bump and the pan would surely hit the pavement. If mine sits that low I'll have to find something different or make changes.
I wonder if raising the engine would work with out screwing up the drive line?

I'll check that link out for sure. Thanks alot.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"