The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

Latest project

Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest project

Finally got a break in the weather and started stripping my car today.

Plans are to strip it down to the shell and trailer it over to Bryan (351coupe) for body work and paint.

Going to do a full resto-mod to the car. Everything is being replaced. All gaskets, trim, new carpet, door panels, console, headliner,.. anything that cant pass off as new will be replaced with something that does.

I'm still not 100% sure which color I will go with. I'm 95% sure I will go with Autumn metallic Orange, but there is a 5% chance between now and January when it goes in for paint that I might decide on Dark Shadow Gray or possibly Mineral Gray.

Suspension wise, Bryan has a D&D k-member with a-arms that I will be buying from him. I will be using the front and rear sway bars from my wife's old 96 Cobra. Going to swap to stiffer coil springs front and rear, Eibach makes a set that I think will be perfect. The car already has welded in subframe connector. I'm debating on whether to do a Fays2 Watts link in the rear or just do a simple panhard bar kit.

Engine,
Been talking with Nicole who is Jim's wife (Woody) of Ford Stroker's. Going with a fully forged 408 short block from him. I'll do the top end myself. Will be be using Vic Jr heads, hopefully I can score those Pro Magnum rockers, Jim will be doing a custom grind cam for me. Induction will be done through an Air Gap intake and 750 cfm Holley. The goal is 375 - 400 at the wheels. Jim says he sees no problem with that in this build.

Wheels will be either TSW Carthage or AZA Z-02 wheels. 18x8 up front using 245/40 rubber and 18x10 out back running 285/35 rubber.

Brakes will consist of 96 Cobra 13" drilled and slotted rotors up front and stock rear drums for now or if I can find some I will upgrade to the 10" ranger drums out back using ranger axles in the rear. Have a 4.10 gear in the car right now. Not sure if it will stay in there. I have a 3.73 I might toss in or I might see if anyone has a 3.55 they'd trade with me.

Thats the plans for now. My wife wants to run the car at Sebring and possibly make a trip up to Road Atlanta next summer. Hopefully I can make the car competitive enough for her to run there. I just want to cruise around on the weekends and see how much trouble I can get stirred up.

Here are some pics of how the car is looking right now. The car has been stored under a car cover for almost 3 yrs now.

Spent rubber from 3yrs ago when MT ET Streets were on the car. Fun times,..

I'm hoping to have the car on the road by April. Should come out pretty sweet once done.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 12-16-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM
E & I Certified

I bet yours is done before mine good luck!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 AM

I'm shooting for an April completion data,.. but anything can happen along the way.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
see dick run

I didn't know it was a theft recovery. LOL keep at it, how long have you had that car?

john
Old 12-18-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stoopid Wendy
I didn't know it was a theft recovery. LOL keep at it, how long have you had that car?

john

LOL

Looks that way. I started stripping it down and my wife made the suggestion that I should document the restoration process. So here are the humble beginnings.

I've had the car for about 3 yrs now.
I was running a 306, AFR 185 heads, Vic jr intake, 600 CFM Holley running mid 12's through a T5 and 4.10 rear. I had it together for about 3 months and got bored with the 12's. Decided to build a 408 single turbo. I sold the motor, tranny and supporting parts. Bought Kelly's TKO, a Dart 377 short block and was 24 hours away from buying a GT88-47 when I got laid off.

The car sat on jack stands in my father inlaws garage for over a year.

Everything is gone and sold. The only thing left is the TKO I bought from kelly. I'm glad I didnt cave in and give it away.

I'll up date as things progress. Been sick and its sprinkling out right now so not much I can do. Supposed to meet Cliff later today for the 1/4 windows. Hopefully it isnt raining too badly this afternoon.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 12-18-2010, 05:18 AM
see dick run

I thought you had that car for a lot longer than 3 years. Glad to see it get reborn.

john
Old 12-18-2010, 12:42 PM
just a single cam hatch

You wouldn't happen to want to sell the cheese grader tails now would you?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by purple87lx
You wouldn't happen to want to sell the cheese grader tails now would you?
Negative.

That was one of the key things I liked when I traded for the car. I love the stock GT tail lights. I never understood why people always swap out for Euro or LX lights. I think they are so boring.

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
just a single cam hatch

Yeah I have 85 tri colors in mine I've been looking for the stock gts and there rare to find in good shape.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Glad to see you're finally able to get back to work on the ole gal, Hurst. Good luck with the project man!