Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Which Miata for ST2? 1.6 VLSD vs 1.8 open diff

Old 10-01-2004, 04:21 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Miata for ST2? 1.6 VLSD vs 1.8 open diff

Thoughts?

Since only factory installed viscous coupler units are allowed in ST2, 94-97's with the Torsen are out... So it's the 1.6L with the Silly Putty diff vs the 1.8L with the one wheel peel.

I guess it comes down to more torque off the corners and bigger brakes vs the 15-25% locking from the vlsd... Assuming you can find a vlsd car and assuming it still works, heh.

Or is it all moot, and won't make a difference to a hamfisted galoot like myself? Feel free to say so.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:24 AM
who stole my intercooler?

no replacement for displacement... even in a miata
Old 10-01-2004, 04:55 AM

The bigger brakes really don't matter for autocross. In fact, a lot of the CSP guys "backdate" to the smaller 1.6 brakes to save weight. In fact, they do EVERYTHING they legally can to save weight, often including the removal of factory chassis braces in addition to the usual A/C removal and such as that.

So, that leaves you with the torque... and how you can apply it. But, there may be other things to consider.

There was a short thread on Miata.Net earlier this year raising the same question. And another thread about "bench building" the perfect STS2 Miata.

STS2 allows you to change wheels. Personally, I'd go for the lightest possible 14" wheels and 205/60 Azenis at this time. OR... for better tire selection, maybe some ultra-light 15's with up to 225's. But weight matters, always keep that in mind.

STS2 only allows an OE VSLD, and there are those who will say that "any LSD is better than no LSD". I can't say, myself as my experience is mostly in my own car that has a Torsen. (and I sometimes run STS2 if I know my competition doesn't mind... it's that or get eaten by CSP)

The 1.6 cars are a little over 100 pounds lighter than the later cars. That can make a difference, too.

And the 1.6 cars are geared for better acceleration, which helps balance out their having less power. This is why a lot of people feel that the 1.6 cars feel "peppier" than the 1.8's.

Lots of stuff to consider, for sure. If I were starting from scratch with the intent of building a car for this class, I'd probably seek out a nice 1.6. Should be able to pick a really nice one up for under $3k... or a ratty one up for well under $2k... or a fixable wreck or terminal mechanical failure for well under $1000. Put a good suspension under it, good wheels and tires, fresh and functional VLSD, and go have some fun!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally posted by Loren
And the 1.6 cars are geared for better acceleration, which helps balance out their having less power. This is why a lot of people feel that the 1.6 cars feel "peppier" than the 1.8's.

Interesting. I didn't know about the gearing!

It looks like you almost have to go with 15" wheels to get any respectable tires. There are a bunch of ~10 lb wheels in 15x7... I was poking around some Spec Miata info and found the Team Dynamics wheels they're all in love with. About 13 lbs, plus, they have that super wide +30 offset for extra track width.

Can you buy "new" vlsd's? It may even be worth it to find a beat-on '92 or '93 and add or replace the vlsd later on...

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by jaball77
It looks like you almost have to go with 15" wheels to get any respectable tires. There are a bunch of ~10 lb wheels in 15x7... I was poking around some Spec Miata info and found the Team Dynamics wheels they're all in love with. About 13 lbs, plus, they have that super wide +30 offset for extra track width.

Can you buy "new" vlsd's? It may even be worth it to find a beat-on '92 or '93 and add or replace the vlsd later on... [/B]
Spec Miata guys are not allowed to run a wheel that weighs less than 13 pounds, if I recall. That's why they run those wheels. Keeps the costs down. Right now, the best bang/buck is the Kosei K1-TS at 10.5 pounds. The lightest is um... I think SSR Comps at 8.5 pounds. For 15's that is... the lightest 14 is the 6.5 pound Volk CE28N that I have.

Not sure what your options for VLSD are. Having a Torsen, I've never really looked into it. I'm pretty sure you could get a new one or have the old one rebuilt... for a price.

With good tires and alignment and a beefy front swaybar you might get around okay without the VLSD. Good enough to have some local fun, anyway.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:37 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Spec Miata guys are not allowed to run a wheel that weighs less than 13 pounds, if I recall. That's why they run those wheels. Keeps the costs down. Right now, the best bang/buck is the Kosei K1-TS at 10.5 pounds. The lightest is um... I think SSR Comps at 8.5 pounds. For 15's that is... the lightest 14 is the 6.5 pound Volk CE28N that I have.
Yeah, I saw the TS. Nice wheels. And I'd LOVE to get them in that neon orange color they have, haha...

Do you think the extra 8-10mm of offset for a +30 wheel would be noticeable for autox use over something like the K1-TS?

Old 10-01-2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by jaball77
Yeah, I saw the TS. Nice wheels. And I'd LOVE to get them in that neon orange color they have, haha...

Do you think the extra 8-10mm of offset for a +30 wheel would be noticeable for autox use over something like the K1-TS?
Not something I've experimented with. I don't think it would make a a night and day difference, though. Stock offset is 45 for the 14's, and I think 40 for the 15's and 16's. I ran 38 offset 15x6.5 Rotas for a couple years. I really don't think the offset affected much. Maybe going as far as 30 would make more of a difference?

Miata.Net is your friend. Lots of good info out there in the forum if you search.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:36 AM
cone junkie

just a point of reference...being that I haven't driven any open diff 1.5G miatas that I know of...

if the wheelspin isn't bad, then a diff isn't helping all that much. You can always tune out wheelspin with setup, and STS2 allows a lot of setup.

Loren, where does the 100 lbs lighter for the 1.6 cars come from? other than the engine of course.

I'd sorta lean towards the 1.8L cars....

-driver of a 2550 lb car with ~170 CRANK lb-ft of torque and VERY LITTLE wheelspin using R compounds (which would increase wheelspin) and stock class rules.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 10-01-2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
Loren, where does the 100 lbs lighter for the 1.6 cars come from? other than the engine of course.

1.8 could very well be the way to go, I'm not sure. I'm not willing to give up my Torsen to find out.

The early 1.6 cars had none of the bracing that started apearing in 1992. The 1994 cars (first year of the 1. had all of the bracing installed. It doesn't add up to much, but that's part of it. The 1.6 diff is also something like 15 pounds lighter from what I've heard, in addition to the engine block/head being a bit ligher. The quote I read today from Andy Hollis (a knowledgable Miata autocrosser) said the difference was about 125 pounds total.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
Yeah, that was my initial gut feeling, too.

Originally posted by Loren
The early 1.6 cars had none of the bracing that started apearing in 1992. The 1994 cars (first year of the 1. had all of the bracing installed. It doesn't add up to much, but that's part of it. The 1.6 diff is also something like 15 pounds lighter from what I've heard, in addition to the engine block/head being a bit ligher.
Man, I wasn't even considering the 90-91's because of the crankshaft problems.... 92-93's are still probably a little lighter and have the shorter gearing... Plus, they're cheaper...

Curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited by jaball77; 10-01-2004 at 12:19 PM.