Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Which Miata for ST2? 1.6 VLSD vs 1.8 open diff

Old 10-01-2004, 01:51 PM
cone junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Loren
The early 1.6 cars had none of the bracing that started apearing in 1992. The 1994 cars (first year of the 1. had all of the bracing installed. It doesn't add up to much, but that's part of it. The 1.6 diff is also something like 15 pounds lighter from what I've heard, in addition to the engine block/head being a bit ligher. The quote I read today from Andy Hollis (a knowledgable Miata autocrosser) said the difference was about 125 pounds total.
That's in stock trim I'm assuming? Or was Andy talking about ST prep?

Andy knows his stuff....too bad he's Andy.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 10-01-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
That's in stock trim I'm assuming? Or was Andy talking about ST prep?

Andy knows his stuff....too bad he's Andy.
I'm sure he was talking stock. How much bracing are you allowed to add/remove in ST? It's been too long since I studied the rules. (btw, jaball, that's the first thing you should do is get completely familiar with the rules of the class you're looking to get into... if you're going to get "serious" about it, anyway)

I think I've heard that about Andy before. I'm just glad that he shares that knowledge with us from time to time.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally posted by Loren
I'm sure he was talking stock. How much bracing are you allowed to add/remove in ST? It's been too long since I studied the rules.
There's no update/backdate any more... So if it wasn't available, you can't add it, and if it WAS there you can't remove it. Especially to save weight, heh.

Jason

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:22 PM
lifelong learner

you guys have never thought about rebuilding your vlsd and adding the wrong type of viscous fluid have you?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by Ostrich
you guys have never thought about rebuilding your vlsd and adding the wrong type of viscous fluid have you?
I've seen that question raised on Miata.net. Someone has probably done it, they're just not talking much. I mean, the only people who are seriously using the VSLD are doing so because their rules (like this STS2 class) don't allow them to use something better. So, if they're doing something "sneaky", they're going to keep it hush so as to not give away their advantage.

Outside of a restrictive rule set like this, the Torsen is a much better option, and there are also aftermarket clutch-types available for the Miata.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 AM
cone junkie

Originally posted by Ostrich
a) anyone serious enough would just use a Torsen.

b) why would anyone talk about something illegal for the class they're playing in.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 10-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

a) anyone serious enough would just use a Torsen.

b) why would anyone talk about something illegal for the class they're playing in.
No kidding. What's the fun of winning if you know you had to cheat to do it?

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:27 PM
who stole my intercooler?

exactly why you never talk about the cams you've put in the MR2
Old 10-02-2004, 12:59 PM

Would it be illegal to put different oil in a diff? I'm not so sure about that. It would just be a "competitive advantage" that you might not want to share.

Now, if you had to physically modify the diff to change the oil, like drilling a drain hole or something... that would be illegal modification. But if you could change the oil without altering the parts, why not?

What next, are they going to start checking oil viscosity? "It's 85 degrees today, your owners manual specifies..." I don't think so.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Now with less suck

Jason, mid way through the '91 model year they switched the crank style from the earlier setup that everyone seems so concerned about. You can tell based on whether the VIN is after xxxx209446. My '91 has the '92 and up style crank.

So if you wanted to consider a '91 for the weight savings due to lack of bracing lack of bracing, you could. I have no idea however if the bracing is something that is really better to have despite it's weight.

I too was unaware of the different gearing, if the 1.8 is actually 125 lbs heavier than a 1.6 equipped car, I'd say that the reduced weight and ability to run the viscous diff make the 1.6 a better starting point.

It doesn't hurt that by being slightly older it should be a little bit cheaper to purchase one as well.