Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

What's up with drifters at autocrosses?

Old 09-21-2004, 04:58 AM
OUCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by marksaccord95
the fuck am i suppose to do leonard? its like i design courses, if someone wants to email me a map they are using for an event to host, id be MORE THEN HAPPY TO.

Mark, my point was that all you were doing was complaining about what you think everyone else (who is putting in more effort than you) isn't doing right when you are doing the minimum required to attend an event.

You want things to be different/better? Step up and volunteer.

You want autox events to be more drift friendly? Figure out how to get the lowest denomenator drifter to respect the site. That's not so simple because even sponsored drifters seem to think they're too good for the rules. (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/s...hreadid=144337)

And if you guys don't want to play by the rules, that's fine too. Find your own sites and host your own events. I'm all for that. At least you (collective you referring to drifters that don't respect the rules of the site) won't fuck it up for everyone else.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 AM
TR Registered Member #5

Default Re: Re: Re: A moderator speaks...

Originally posted by jaball77
I guess you're right. It could have been worse... One little wall of cones isn't THAT big a deal. And I'm glad nobody ended up in the drink!

All I'm saying is that it's kind of annoying to the course workers at best, and could be damaging to our relationship with GIR at worst.

I'm sorry that there aren't many sanctioned drift events, but you have to have a little respect the events you're crashing.

GIR wouldnt give a damn as long as ure not spinning out in their grass. i do have respect for the events, which is why i was taking it easy. i could have come on the back decreasing radius, lift throttle over steered, took out all those gates back there but would have had a bad ass drift, but i didnt do shit like that, i went thru the gates, some sideways, but without taking them out.

come out to DDAY3 if u wanna see me really drift, then ull realize what we were doing at the event was just trying to have fun, but respectful at the same time.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 AM
MASTER BREWER:HOT TEA

Some of you autoXers seem to think drifting is like a plauge, its simply a different driving style, seem out of control? Yes, but many of us got our roots at autoX, like me. I feel its required to learn how to drive at the limit, before you drive past it. On certin occations its the only safe option, otherwise we would understeer off the course, causing the whole timing process to slow down. One time I was at Sunriders for the "watercross" basicly 3 laps on a course in the rain, and well all I could manage was sliding. But I did it safely and they didnt have any problems with it.

So yes we are out there, but we are avid motorsports enthusist, like you guys. Not just some punks who try to distroy whatever venues come near us. And no most of us try and stay off the streets, there are to many cops around to try and do that sort of thing. As wreakless as drifting might seem we are careful (atleast the ones that are smart) where we do our sport. Autocrosses give us a safe venus to pratice our sports.

Drifters who come out to autocrosses know how much it means to have a safe place to go. And they spent good money on it, so they wont just tear the place down, aslong as its safe, which most drifters are (that come out to the autoX) the wreakless drifters dont waste there time or money to go to a safe place.

All im saying is just dont place all drifters in the same barn, just like I dont place all people with civics in the same bin.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:53 AM

I still wanna be like Chin when I grow up.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:03 AM
TR Registered Member #5

Originally posted by Chin180sx
Some of you autoXers seem to think drifting is like a plauge, its simply a different driving style, seem out of control? Yes, but many of us got our roots at autoX, like me. I feel its required to learn how to drive at the limit, before you drive past it. On certin occations its the only safe option, otherwise we would understeer off the course, causing the whole timing process to slow down. One time I was at Sunriders for the "watercross" basicly 3 laps on a course in the rain, and well all I could manage was sliding. But I did it safely and they didnt have any problems with it.

So yes we are out there, but we are avid motorsports enthusist, like you guys. Not just some punks who try to distroy whatever venues come near us. And no most of us try and stay off the streets, there are to many cops around to try and do that sort of thing. As wreakless as drifting might seem we are careful (atleast the ones that are smart) where we do our sport. Autocrosses give us a safe venus to pratice our sports.

Drifters who come out to autocrosses know how much it means to have a safe place to go. And they spent good money on it, so they wont just tear the place down, aslong as its safe, which most drifters are (that come out to the autoX) the wreakless drifters dont waste there time or money to go to a safe place.

All im saying is just dont place all drifters in the same barn, just like I dont place all people with civics in the same bin.
+1 million

Old 09-21-2004, 11:35 AM
F K D

www.martinsportscarclub.com

I think it's sometime in Oct. @ GIR and they generally have on-line registration for the GIR events. It's not cheap ($40 last time) but it seems like a drift course to me, at least as much as the surface allows. They'll probably have a course map posted on-line prior to the event - check their forum, there is a link on the home page.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:16 PM
TR Registered Member #5

im a retard, i know about martins, just the abbreviation didnt click

Old 09-21-2004, 03:55 PM
bucket

oversteerS2k- if i had my WRX, i would have had a blast at that course, but i wasnt, and thought it would be like most G'ville events are.... open course..... which i could drift without making people upset, it wasnt,
When was the last time SCCA ran an event at GIR that was "open course"?
Whenever I've ran their events there (which would be a majority of them in the past year or so) it looked like somebody blew up a cone factory.

GIR wouldnt give a damn as long as ure not spinning out in their grass.
Actually, they would...just ask Jay about that.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:27 PM
TR Registered Member #5

that was my 1st autocross this season since ive been busy, but all last season was vurtually an open course with a few gates.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:00 PM
F K D

I don't know how many times I've had to go through this same speal....but here we go again: "blew up a cone factory", yada, yada - after several cars went in the water last year and one even into the trees, prior to that, there is an emphasis on safety for GIR courses. I like wide open. The funnest event I've had @ GIR was Martin's "Mini-Prix" where I hit 90+ on the back stretch. Even their State Championship course last fall was pretty quick. The problem there is that they answer to a constantly variable set of rules and can change them on a whim. We have to go by the SCCA's guidelines for course design and answer to a Safety Steward who does take at least one run with the course designer or event chair before approving the course. That S.S. is responsible for the safety of everyone at the site (while driving, working, or spectating) as well as the property. If Jesse, Jim, or myself went out there and set up a ten cone Mach 1 course it'd just be a huge delay as we added enough tight elements to make the course approvable. An autocross shouldn't go beyond normal highway speeds. Well, for me that's 95 but for most of the country that's 55-70. It's also not supposed to go beyond 45 in the corners. And this is all for the best prepared Stock and S.P. cars. I know I was hitting 65 on street tires in two spots and imagine that the FFR (AP) car was 80+. That's about as fast as it can safely be done there, at least under the SCCA's guidelines. Beyond the safety issue you have the fact that a Solo 2 course should NOT reward high horsepower over manuverability. From SS to HS there should be as level of a playing field as possible. You can't create drag strip starts and quick exit corners that just lead into an eigth mile straight and make it fair to anyone shy of 300 Hp.

What you guys are looking for is a Solo1 or Solo Trials event. CFR hosted one last year and only like 33 drivers showed up. I couldn't go w/o a $800 roll cage or a $2,700 hard top or I would have been there. It sounded like a blast. But, with the poor attendance that means there won't be one this year at all since they probably didn't break even for the site rental. Next year the Club Racing arm will take over the Solo 1's & Solo Trials and in this region that basically says that those events will die out.

Now I'm not trying to be a dick here (although with the attitudes and hostitlity on this board I'll, no doubt, get flamed) but the site isn't that much to rent and there is a genuine interest for higher speed and/or driftable courses. Round up ten to twenty of your buddies and have at it. You only need a stop watch - since cones on course are so heinous. I think I'd even go if we could get it down to less than $75 each. The S2000 wants to drift in every situation anyhow - now controlling it is the problem...