Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

what does it take

Old 07-26-2005, 01:26 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does it take

I was just wondering how much does it take to turbo a non turbo 87 auto supra my cousin bought it for 300.00 and it runs great but he is use to turbo car and he wants to put a turbo on the supra just some info thanks.

Brothers
A.K.A
Rob and Dave
Old 07-26-2005, 01:42 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Well, there are two things you can do. Swap for a turbo engine or turbo the N/A. 7M is pretty easy to manage apparently, so I'd personally swap the engine out for a turbo. Many can be had for $500-$600 easily, whereas if you turbo the N/A you are limited pretty soon by less fuel and higher compression

If you can go to SupraForums, theres a few N/A-->T and "1/2 N/A-->T" conversion threads and stickies.

SupraMania is a better place for technicalities, though recently got hacked and lost a buttload of information, some of which probably being N/A-->T stuff because I'm not finding as much info there. HTH

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-26-2005, 02:26 PM
TRG

i think it would also be good idea to do the engine swap. The only prob is u won't find to many explainations on how to do it from this site and supraforums.com is down right now or not letting new members register. But i did some research on this and was asking around and a lot of peps told me to do an engine swap as well. The thing is, the 7mge is such a high compression motor that putting a turbo on would mean you could only run very low psi. So while you may get slighty more power, you still will never get the power you can get from a 7mgte or 1jz

Old 07-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Chowdah-head

Originally Posted by Supra 3G
i think it would also be good idea to do the engine swap. The only prob is u won't find to many explainations on how to do it from this site and supraforums.com is down right now or not letting new members register. But i did some research on this and was asking around and a lot of peps told me to do an engine swap as well. The thing is, the 7mge is such a high compression motor that putting a turbo on would mean you could only run very low psi. So while you may get slighty more power, you still will never get the power you can get from a 7mgte or 1jz
such a high compression motor??! its 9.2:1, and they respond to boost just fine, you have to be a little bit more careful with your tune, but plenty of people run as much boost as they would've on a GTE short block just by making sure they had a safe tune....oh ya, suprised nobody mentioned to swap to the R-154 transmission
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 AM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Oh right, yeah, the W58 on MkIIIs is useless for power

Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-27-2005, 08:18 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

i apreciate all the info i think i am going to by the turbo engine and trans , harness , ecu just to make it easy if anyone comes across that stuff for an automatic let me know

Brothers
A.K.A
Rob and Dave
Old 07-27-2005, 08:27 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

and 1 more question what is the best engine to go with info please

Brothers
A.K.A
Rob and Dave
Old 07-27-2005, 08:37 AM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

This is debatable...its MUCH easier and cheaper to stick with the 7M, although many people prefer the 1JZ (I did for a year) you need a whole clip for the conversion and some fun with wiring

Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

yea i want to keep it easy i think i am just going to find a 7m full swap

Brothers
A.K.A
Rob and Dave