Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Toyota/Lexus Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/toyota-lexus-tech/)
-   -   7mgte mods (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/toyota-lexus-tech/120108-7mgte-mods.html)

Acid_Burrn 11-25-2003 07:21 AM

7mgte mods

I have an 87 turbo supra, and i was wondering if anyone knows any mods for it, im sure someone out there is a genius on this car and probly has it running like a beast. its basically stock exept for some aftermarket underdrive-pullys and 3 inch exaust with hollow cat. with a little help, its rebuilt. my engine looks hot too, i took some time to paint the motor . ill post some pics when i figure out how to .

Muddy 11-25-2003 11:58 AM

supramania.com
supraforums.com
supras.com

search is your friend.

williamb82 11-26-2003 05:59 PM

what do you want to know? theres lots of cheap things you can do for power on a 7mgte.
william

Idealsupra 11-26-2003 06:40 PM

first things first....take the underdrive pulley set off! thats a nono for these engines!

Idealsupra 11-26-2003 06:41 PM

oh i forgot....where in tampa are you? we are having a huge supra meet on the 6th in clearwater gonna have about 30+ supras there its a BBQ.... IM me on AIM lamplitersniper and let me know whats up!

J-Dizzle 11-27-2003 06:44 AM

lets see the pics... first off if u want to cheaply , shim the wastegate with some washers, you'll be runin around 10psi, its good to this before boostcontrollers so that u dont have to upgrade fuel mang, or anything else

CiviSmkr89 11-27-2003 03:09 PM

hey guys , whats going on with this supra meet in clearwater... its something ide like to go to , but this is the first time ive heard about it so far... if u can , email me at Cools476@aol.com , cause i check that more often then i do TR. thanks
Billy

joeyk 12-03-2003 01:34 PM

Originally posted by williamb82
what do you want to know? theres lots of cheap things you can do for power on a 7mgte.
william

there is nothing cheep you can do to the 7m to get more power best thing to do is lighten up the heavy fucking pos car itself, the motor before it has anything donw to it needs an expensive headgasket unless you got a friend or a brain and know how to work on cars and do it yourself , anyone ASKING FOR CHEEP MODS SHOULDNT EVEN OWN THE CAR.

williamb82 12-03-2003 01:53 PM

so you think you have to spend alot of money to make power eh? must not know much. youd be surprised how much power you can make with a little creativity when making parts. just because the part doesnt say hks or greddy doesnt mean the part wont make more power. btw, it takes ~1hr to retq the hg. a mhg isnt needed unless going over 14psi. and the hg is ~$135 not all that expensive. valves can be lapped by hand while the head is off, you can lap the head your self. use a peice of plate glass and valve grinding compound and follow the instructions on the sogi site. head will shine like a mirror if done right. if you have a roto zip, buy a port and polish kit and unshroud the valves and smooth out the short side radius yourself. a little time consuming but very effective. also, port match the intake ports to the gasket, intake manifolds should be port matched as well. leave the lip on the exhaust as its need to prevent reversion. now, buy some 2.25in u bends and cut and weld apropriately and buy a couple connectors and clamps and you have a good hard pipe kit for ~$60-80 depending where you get the pipes. you can put 2-3 washers on the wastegate to bumpe the boost to ~10psi. but first, the best mod is the exhaust. buy some 3in u bends and cut them and weld them and buy a muffler. my full 3in exhaust fromt turbo back (i replaced the elbow) cost me ~$130. again, pretty cheap. also, the 2nd gen dsm bov works well as long as its recirculated, which is pretty easy to do. also, you can buy a drop in k&n and then modify the front of the air box and run a 4-5in snorkle to the front for a cold air intake. the snorkal will be less then $10 at home depot. very cheap and very effective. also, you cna make an i/c water sprayer for ~$5 to spray water on the i/c. im sure theres more im forgetting. ill post more later. btw, the only difficult part is the welding. if you dont know how to weld and dont have a welder, youll have to have a friend that can. but if you measure right, exhaust shops dont charge too much to weld. i have access to a welding machine so its no big deal. good luck.
william

williamb82 12-03-2003 02:05 PM

oh yeah, buy a pcv catch can and block off the pcv port on the acordian hose. and run a hose from the stock metal tubes to the catch can, also put a cap on the port on the tb so you wont have a vacum leak. also, be sure the timing is set correctly. prolly want to run it ~14deg with 93 octane while its cold, ~12deg when it warms back up in the summer. if you raise the boost more then you cant run it as far advanced. another thing, run champion copper plugs. platnium suck. and gap them to ~0.028" . and when you can, get some msd wires. also, if your handy with a grinder you can make 2 little block off plates to get rid of the egr valve. just trace a gasket, grind the flange to fit and drill 2 holes. wont take long to get rid of it.
william