Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Cleaning stock wheels on 06 sti

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM
vroom psshh.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a detailing service... I've tried most of the products out there. The dupont product is bad for the finish, long-term. Spend some time putting a nice SYNTHETIC wax on the wheels, if you can get wheel wax even better. You sacrifice some shine for durability, and it makes it easier to clean the next time. Bottom line: these wheels are never going to be easy to clean.

Buy one of those wheel brushes that you use in the dry -- it definitely takes the edge off of cleaning the wheels. I clean mine by hand and, using the brush, it takes no more than 15 mins. I routinely (every 2 weeks) use touch-up paint on any knicks in the silver paint on the rims... keeps 'em looking awesome.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
vroom psshh.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

* not to bash spray on- rinse off products, but they do contain harsh detergents which I have seen first hand is very bad for clear coats with extended use. Plus, that brake dust comes off piping hot, therefore it's already going to try to melt its way through the clear and poke some holes in it. The harsh detergent eventually works to lift the clear through these holes.