View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 05:09 PM
franktf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Comet is finally at the chassis shop for the chromolly cage install!!!!! Hopefully it doesn't take too long..... I will be going by every couple days to get some progress pic's of the work.....

With the car out of the shop I decided to get some things done in preperation of putting the car back together..... I figured I would start with a relatively easy one and get the rear end center section ready to go, it was already set up for the old Maverick but after selling the car I found out how loud the Detroit Locker was when just pushing the car so I picked up a Tru-trac unit to replace it with..... After double checking what I previousely set the back lase on the ring gear I removed the Locker and seperated the ring gear from it..... I found out the bolts I had in the locker were too long for the Tru-trac unit, The I tried to install the bearings on the Tru-trac and found a big issue that I did not have knowledge of..... Aparrently the 3.250 OD carrier bearings only come in a 2" ID which will not fit the Tru-trac due to it needing a bearing with a 1.781" ID bearing, whick will require a case with a 2.890" OD or 3.062" OD bearing..... So to use the Tru-trac unit it looks like I will need to buy a different case(happy, happy, joy, joy).....

Here's a couple pic's of the center section disassembly.....