Thread: 7mgte mods
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 01:53 PM
williamb82
grease monkey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you think you have to spend alot of money to make power eh? must not know much. youd be surprised how much power you can make with a little creativity when making parts. just because the part doesnt say hks or greddy doesnt mean the part wont make more power. btw, it takes ~1hr to retq the hg. a mhg isnt needed unless going over 14psi. and the hg is ~$135 not all that expensive. valves can be lapped by hand while the head is off, you can lap the head your self. use a peice of plate glass and valve grinding compound and follow the instructions on the sogi site. head will shine like a mirror if done right. if you have a roto zip, buy a port and polish kit and unshroud the valves and smooth out the short side radius yourself. a little time consuming but very effective. also, port match the intake ports to the gasket, intake manifolds should be port matched as well. leave the lip on the exhaust as its need to prevent reversion. now, buy some 2.25in u bends and cut and weld apropriately and buy a couple connectors and clamps and you have a good hard pipe kit for ~$60-80 depending where you get the pipes. you can put 2-3 washers on the wastegate to bumpe the boost to ~10psi. but first, the best mod is the exhaust. buy some 3in u bends and cut them and weld them and buy a muffler. my full 3in exhaust fromt turbo back (i replaced the elbow) cost me ~$130. again, pretty cheap. also, the 2nd gen dsm bov works well as long as its recirculated, which is pretty easy to do. also, you can buy a drop in k&n and then modify the front of the air box and run a 4-5in snorkle to the front for a cold air intake. the snorkal will be less then $10 at home depot. very cheap and very effective. also, you cna make an i/c water sprayer for ~$5 to spray water on the i/c. im sure theres more im forgetting. ill post more later. btw, the only difficult part is the welding. if you dont know how to weld and dont have a welder, youll have to have a friend that can. but if you measure right, exhaust shops dont charge too much to weld. i have access to a welding machine so its no big deal. good luck.
william