View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 AM
NI_racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxXJokerXxX
Or are you talking tire sizes in general referring to gearing and the effects of different tire sizes?

This is exactly what i am after. SO, this is a bit diff than your typical circle track classes, so bear with me.

All competitors are running the same engine make, with the same tech rules (like a crate), internal diferences vary as long as they dont exceed tech. Usually the engines are withing 1 -2 hp of eachother across the board (well the good ones atleast). The minimum weight is of course the same since evryone is using the same engine. Now here is where the real difference comes in.... We are running fixed gears. The front (trans gear) is a class tech item. It has to be the same front gear for every competitor. However, you have a range of rear gears to choose from to get your ratio where you want it. Once you run out of gear to play with, you have to find another way to get more out of the engine, usually regarding RPMs. Now... a smaller tire circumfrence will yeild you less recipicating weight, which creates less parasitic drag, possibly less friction, which all will allow the vehicle to accelerate faster with less stress on the engine, and yeilds a higher RPM. That seems to be a general consensus....

The question at hand is this. A smaller circumfrence tire will travel a certain amount of inches per revoltion (IPR). A larger circumfrence tire will travel more inches per revolution. So in theory, i assumed that the larger tire would travel farther in the same amount of time, because it could cover more ground per revolution, thus making it faster?

However, it appears that this theory is not all inclusive, and depends on the other conditions and setup of the car, engine range, and so on. So my question is this. How would you determine the advantage or disadvantage of running varying tire circumfrences without buying a bunch of sets and blowing em up to different sizes, and testing out the results?

Tampa Bay Rotary Owners Club Member # 4
Team Decep!
you never saw it coming

Last edited by NI_racing; 05-11-2010 at 05:41 AM.