View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Enthalpy
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ca18det

Originally posted by AW11Drifter
I wanna make a real Sil-Eighty might as well use the right motor

Ok man, dont take this the wrong way becasue i am not trying to flame you as a person...but where the heck did you get that little nugget of mis-information?

The "real" Sil-80 was SR20DET powered. less than 500 were sold in japan. there are various storyies on who made them. some say they were actually produced adn sold new by Nissan JP. others say that they rolled off the production line as 180sx and modified by an outside company to have the silvia bodywork. this company was authorized by Nissan to do the work, and the cars were sold as new at select Nissan JP dealerships. not sure which of these stories is true...but i am DAMN sure that it was SR powered.

180sx was sold with the SR in it from 91 to 98. silvias were much more common, and so it became easier to wreck your 180sx front end drifting...and then go to the salvage yard and pick a Silvia for repacement bodypanels. cheaper and easier to get....hence the popularity among the drift crowd. Nissan acknowledged the phenomenon and sold the limited edition Sil-80 described above. now if you have a 89-90 RS13 and want to do the period correct motorswap (ca18det) and then do a sil-80 conversion. you will have a sil-80....but dont imply it is a "real" sil-80. becasue the only offical sil-80's ever sold were SR.

Scott

Last edited by Enthalpy; 07-23-2003 at 12:27 PM.