View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM
djben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
Listen closely.

Sell everything you have. Buy a pickup truck and a shifter cart. Track every weekend and any other day you can. Give up partying and live, eat and breath racing. Good luck.

I wish somebody would have given me that advice 30 years ago.
That first step is gonna be the most significant

When it comes to top-tier competetive driving, the stuff you can make a career out of, just make sure to understand there are people BORN AND BRED to be race car drivers from all over the world. In no way do I think I could ever compete with these kinds of folks, and I'm thoroughly happy for anyone who has parents with enough money to give them that opportunity, I'm just going to try and have fun with club racing.

You can get into sports car racing at a young age (teens/20s) and get competetive and even win but even if you have the skill you still need the money to be able to do it all in the first place. I'm not any sort of veteran to any of this by any means, I just have been to the track a few times and know some people who have made a career out of racing and a guy who is trying to do it himself right now.

I will probably buy a spec Miata and trailer, borrow my brother's Ford Expedition on the weekends to go to the track and hand him over the keys to the M3 (I don't think he will turn it down). I would like to be able to get out on the track, get better and run 10/10ths, and then get wheel to wheel for a little competition which will make it more fun.

Last edited by djben; 03-15-2007 at 07:27 PM.