View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 PM
_Charles_
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin City Dragway, Oldsmar Florida

MAny don't know about it, but it once existed. There were actually 2 dragstrips in Tampa back in the day, but both are now gone. Here is some interesting history though on Twin City Dragway...

Did you know that the recently “discontinued” Oldsmobile Division of General Motors was named for its founder, Ransom Eli Olds? His initials “REO” were also used as a nameplate for another car company and later, a company that built the “REO” line of medium and heavy trucks. Even more interesting are Ransom Olds’ ties to the state of Florida, and in particular, to the Daytona Beach area. Turns out that Olds, a Lansing, Michigan native, liked the balmy Florida weather so much that after moving to this area in 1913, he built a hotel/apartment building in Daytona Beach.. That building stands today and is located on Ridgewood Avenue (U.S. Highway 1), just south of U.S. 92, better known now as International Speedway Boulevard. It is currently being used as a retirement home for the elderly. Ransom E. Olds later sold the building and, with the proceeds, bought 34.541 acres of property in the Tampa Bay area. He planned to build a new community for 100,000 people and call it “R.E. Olds On-The-Bay.” (He was a big fan of naming things after himself!) His dream never fully materialized, and he abandoned the project in 1923 after dumping $4.5 million dollars into it! The town, however, refused to die, and today it’s known as “Oldsmar.” It at one time was home to Twin City Dragway and was once owned by “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, who used the track for private test runs in his “Swamp Rat” dragsters. (Source: Autoweek Magazine)

I have yet to find much info about 'Tampa' Drag Strip, but I do know that 1 of these was located on S Mobley road at a place now called 'Ed Radice Park'. I visited there back in 2000 in my search for Twin City Dragways, only to find what looked like an abandoned straightaway. The county has since built the location into a multi-million dollar sports complex, and what I once witness'ed is no longer.

Anybody having info to share, feel free to post.

Charles

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com