View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 07:47 PM
SpyVO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great start to me. I think I mentioned that I got the Holset off ebay...$161 was the winning bid. Man, I'm excited about that! It's an Hy35, which was used on the automatics, I think. They supposedly have a smaller turbine side, so it should spin up faster than the HX35. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm in for! I'm thinking about going to the junkyard for a spare engine even before I get started!

FWIW- I've heard mixed reviews about the headstuds and the 65mm TB. What's your opinion on those, Dave? I know I've used the same set of 12-point bolts about 4 times now, and I've never had a problem, a blown headgasket or anything like that. This is with a non-decked rebuild junkyard head, and there's been a LOT of detonation along the way at times, too.

My feelings on the 2.3 are that the biggest shortcomings are the stock computer and then later, the stock head. I think there's a few guys out there with very mildly modified heads and standalones with big turbos making big power. Good heads are $$$ for the 2.3, and working an iron one sucks because it's just a matter of time till it cracks. They ALL do it.

-Mike

"Notches kick ass!"

Last edited by SpyVO; 02-21-2005 at 07:52 PM.