Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   For Sale/WTB Honda & Acura (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sale-wtb-honda-acura/)
-   -   I need help for a build!@!@! (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sale-wtb-honda-acura/540576-i-need-help-build.html)

skimfor727 01-14-2009 11:31 AM

I need help for a build!@!@!

i want to build a civic motor from scratch.

what are some basic things that i will need and should look for.

also what would be the best base to start from (motor wise)
i was a v-tec. its going to be in a eg hatch or a ek coupe.

this is my first project car i know some basics but i dont know everything.

feel free to lend me your knowledge.

thanks,
SKimFor727

Troux 01-17-2009 07:40 PM

No more bullshit, guys. It's a legitimate question.

OP, try searching Honda-Tech (or Google...) first to see if there is any info out there for it.

Aoshi 01-18-2009 07:35 AM

um, god I want to be an asshole so bad....

But anyway, whats your budget? and do you have anything? Block or what not?

squid00 01-18-2009 08:52 AM

im being an asshole today but ill be nice this time...

are you looking for a bseries or kseries?
you would need the bottom block, head, transmission and clutch (assuming you are going for a manual.)

good luck. you have a long road ahead of you. if you dont know anything about engines, i would start reading first.

VOD 01-18-2009 09:11 AM

do u wantto go NA or boost.. either way if your going to build up a motor you will need deep pockets

Aoshi 01-18-2009 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by VOD (Post 6213559)
do u wantto go NA or boost.. either way if your going to build up a motor you will need deep pockets

rofl I was unaware that 2-4k was deep pockets. Perhaps you just don't need to be a broke ass and have a decent job.

edit: but it really matters what you want, if your not going for excessive horsepower then you could look for a used motor or a blown one for a few hundred then swap the head, put a header, intake and bolt-ons. If your going to boost it then get a blown one and put new forged pistons and rods during the rebuild. But ensure the block is good first, for most of this I know you won't have the tools so call a few engine shops and get quotes on what a rebuild would cost.

A shop in jax quoted me 1,200 for a full rebuild, using stock parts on a old turbo starion motor. Bring in your own forged internals and it would be a few hundred cheaper for the work, but more for the parts.

VOD 01-18-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aoshi (Post 6213658)
rofl I was unaware that 2-4k was deep pockets. Perhaps you just don't need to be a broke ass and have a decent job.

edit: but it really matters what you want, if your not going for excessive horsepower then you could look for a used motor or a blown one for a few hundred then swap the head, put a header, intake and bolt-ons. If your going to boost it then get a blown one and put new forged pistons and rods during the rebuild. But ensure the block is good first, for most of this I know you won't have the tools so call a few engine shops and get quotes on what a rebuild would cost.

A shop in jax quoted me 1,200 for a full rebuild, using stock parts on a old turbo starion motor. Bring in your own forged internals and it would be a few hundred cheaper for the work, but more for the parts.

he said from scratch... all new internal upper and lower and having someone piece it all together and then a tune.. shit isnt cheap

joedirt01 01-18-2009 12:58 PM

build a single cam.

Troux 01-18-2009 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Aoshi (Post 6213658)
rofl I was unaware that 2-4k was deep pockets.

Welcome to TR.

RoadRacer 01-18-2009 07:23 PM

Moving to the Honda Tech section.
If it's your first project car, buy an eg that is already swapped and go from there.
Intake mani, header and exhaust, cams and springs.
Save the motor building until you have a little more experience.