Legendary Car at a Reasonable Price (1990 e30 M3)

Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Legendary Car at a Reasonable Price (1990 e30 M3)

Well, I guess I should start with the typical sob story first. After many hospital-bed-side conversations with my dad, we've decided to give up the dream and sell his 1990 E30 M3. The costs incurred by his recent invasive surgery and his current hospital stay are threatening to place significant financial strain on my family. He offered the car to me, but due to my age and income (18 yr old with a part-time job) I cannot afford the car either. As a result of our current situation, we're selling the car as-is, along with a good number of spare parts.

My dad has owned this car for 6+ years (I was young when he got it, and he also owns an e30 325is, so it is difficult for me to remember exactly when he bought the car), and it has been his daily driver for ~5 years. I have been driving it lately to and from work in Tampa (we live in Clearwater) to keep the car from sitting for too long.

Exterior

Now that that's over, here are some details about the car. The exterior of the car is in VERY good shape. It was repainted the same color (black) a little over a year ago. There isn't a bit of rust on the car, and there are less than 5 small (coin-sized) parking lot dings on the whole body. One of the sidemarker lights in the front bumper has a broken tab (we have a replacement sidemarker that will either be put on the car, or come with it).

Interior

Unfortunately, the interior has seen better days. It is not in terrible shape, by any means, but Florida sun is not kind to 20 year old leather. The interior is tan with black headliner. The bolsters on the driver's seat have suffered the worst. The left-hand bolster has split along the seem and both the front and rear seats are very worn. The leather boot around the shifter is torn, as is the boot on the emergency break. That said, seats and shifter boots are easily reupholstered. The headliner is in perfect shape, without any tears or burns. The carpet is also in fairly good shape for a daily driver.

This thread is mostly just to gauge local interest in the car. I'll be updating it with more info and pictures within the next day or so. If anyone has an questions, feel free to ask. If you have any advice about selling the car or know anyone who might be interested, please send me a PM.

Here's some maintenence info:

133,xxx miles on the odometer(still functioning)

Car is basically 98% stock.

At 95,xxx miles:
- New timing chain
- New cam sprockets
- Timing chain "channels" (not sure what these are called)

- Replaced transmission -> in an attempt to fix the almost universally common issue of difficult shifts into first gear
- Z3 shifter (~20,000 miles ago) -> eliminates common "shifter buzz"
- New (~10,000 miles) transmission mounts
- EVO II valve springs
- s50-style timing chain tensioner
- SPAL electric fan kit -> wired to run all the time, to keep the car cool while daily-driving to tampa in the summer time
- Replaced front struts ~1 year ago.
- BMW Style 5 wheels w/ 245/40/17 Hankook R-S2 tires

List of parts included with the car:

- Completely reconditioned s14 head w/ MLS head gasket (worth at least $800)
- Original Getrag 265 transmission (worth $200)
- Original 15" basketweave wheels
- New rear struts
- New front brake pads
- New front sidemarker
- Assorted clips and rubber grommits/bushings/hangers

ASKING PRICE: $16,000 OBO

DISCLAIMER: I would love to hear you questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions. On the other hand, I don't want to hear how ridiculous our asking price is. I don't want to hear how you want me to part the car out. I don't want to hear how you want it as a shell for your s52 swap. It's a complete car, so it's priced as a complete car. In particular, I ABSOLUTELY do not want to hear about how there's one of these for sale in Alabama for $3,000. Yes, we need to sell this car, but we need to sell it for what it's worth. Thank you for your interest, but if you don't have the money, you just don't have it.

This car is truly a blast to drive. I hope whoever gets their hands on it will love it even half as much as my dad has. It's a great piece of machinery, and it is an awesome feeling to have the opportunity to drive such an icon on the street.

Thanks everyone for looking!

I'll be updating this thread in the next couple of days with more details and photos.

Last edited by blasphemy101; 01-17-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
i love girls

Try s14.net but goodluck getting 16k, that is way to high.

Jst4shw store: HID's-LED's-LUGNUT's-STICKER's-JDM GOODIES's

Like us on facebook
Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Not saying you're wrong, but tell me what a good price would be.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Also: we'll go to s14.net only if we have to. We'd like to sell it as locally as possible. I'm going to add OBO to the post. The price isn't set in stone, but we can't afford to sell it for stupid cheap, either.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 AM
i love girls

Thing is with e30 m3's people around USA are willing to travel. You have to have maintenance records because rebuilding a s14 motor would cost a minimum of 10k. Post it on r3vlimited also. A price around 12-14k would get u more people biting. So just post it on the sites it'll help u sell. There's maybe a 25% chance you'll sell it in Tampa.

Like us on facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 AM

I know TR is a long shot. I posted on Florida German also. I haven't heard that about the s14. I know it's not cheap, but saying it costs a MINIMUM of $10k to rebuild seems steep. It costs as much as you're willing to put into it. I'll speak with my dad about the price and maintenance records, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. He's not the best bookkeeper.

Thanks for the advice - sorry if I came off the wrong way
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
i love girls

Honestly I'm not lying, a rebuild for the motor is about 10k minimum

Like us on facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm not trying to argue the point at all - I'm not insanely familiar with the car. I'm only selling it because my dad isn't able to do so. I mean, geez, if a rebuild costs $10k, what's this motor supposed to be worth?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Post up as many pictures as you can.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:02 PM
i love girls

Motors are worth like 4-6k. It's wierd but this is all facts gl on the sale

Like us on facebook