The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

Latest project

Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Bondsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
I wonder if raising the engine would work with out screwing up the drive line?
Hurst
wont work out too well
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 AM

According to that LS1tech list all the trucks 4.8/5.3/6.0 except the Hummers have the same pan including the Escalade. So my pan will be exactly like your 5.3 pan in there. I have the AJE k-member too.

Looks like the Fbody pan has the best clearance.
Once I get the car back I can measure k-member and rack and pinion clearance to see if the LS1 pan will work.

Given the right opportunities, my wife and I both drive pretty aggressively on the street. I know myself and I know my wife,.. with a pan that low it would be a matter of time before one of us cracked it open on something. What I may do if I can find something soon, as a temp solution I can put stiffer springs on the coil overs up front. Looks like a GTO pan might work too. Maybe if I modified the front of it.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 03-04-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM
h9

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
I'll run ya,.. or my wife will if I dont. But bare in mind,.. other than a cam and headers,.. the 6.0 will be basically stock.
I cant emphasize this enough,l.. not building a race car. Just a good running street car. But if your running 11's NA then it should be a good race. Will be a while before I put nitrous on this motor. Should be low to mid 10's with a 150 shot. I dont see this car running any single digits with this configuration. The suspension and tire choices wont allow it.

Hurst
i would call it stock so much.the heads on them motors are 205cc and higher compression.my little truck motor cam with e7 heads and 8.8:1 compression.you have performance parts..just factory issued parts.its like have have a 03 cobra motor.its stock,but has a badass short block with good heads and that nice blower sitting on top of it all.all i did to my windsor was get it up to where it should have came with stock lol.but for the price yes u can"t beat $1200. bucks for a 345hp motor.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:59 PM
see dick run

The problem is that people want (and get) stupid money for the f-body pans.

john
Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Previously 19-camaro-88

Check Craigslist, I've seen f-body pans go for as low as $25. Or just buy one new from a dealer. I built a blown 408 for a custom 32 roadster and bought a pan from gm, wanna say it was around 200-250 with windage tray, pick up, gasket and bolts.

-Miles.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Miles.
Check Craigslist, I've seen f-body pans go for as low as $25. Or just buy one new from a dealer. I built a blown 408 for a custom 32 roadster and bought a pan from gm, wanna say it was around 200-250 with windage tray, pick up, gasket and bolts.

I'll chop and cut the one I have before I spend more than $75 on a used factory pan.

Maybe I'm getting really old and not adjusting very well to how the prices are inflating for building a car these days. It just seems the price people want for things these days are far fetched and unrealistic. I mean you can barely get $150 for a good running 302 short block, but cant touch a LSx oil pan for under $100. Thats ridiculous. They want more for a gasket kit than what I used to pay for a whole motor. Just blows me away.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Bondsman

Hows the market on an aftermarket pan?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Just as expensive and then some.

I think I'm just going to chop 3 - 4 inches from the bottom of my pan and hopefully I dont screw up the pick up tube redoing it.

Its a 6.5 quart pan. I'm guessing I loose a quart of capacity at the most.
I need to get the k-member on and trial fit the engine to see exactly how low it sits. My guess is that it wont be any different than John and Wendy's set up. Way too low for my comfort zone.

On a positive note,.. my cam and front rotors came today. Went with an Edelbrock 2216 cam. 230/237 duration, .540 lift, 110 lobe on 106 centerline. Definitely going to thump more than I originally wanted. But expecting torq numbers to be in the 425 - 440 range with 300 trq coming on at 2000 rpm. They rate this cam with the same intake and carb on an LS1 @ 460 fwhp. So I am anticipating close to 400 to the wheels with this set up.

Headers, Door handles, latch assembly's and key cylinders should be here by Weds.
Ordered Moroso 3" Spiral Flow mufflers a few hours ago. They are supposed to be pretty quiet for a bullet muffler. Shouldnt have too much trouble selling them if they are too loud. Trying to go with a different sound. Hopefully with an H-pipe they sound the way I like it. The headers are 1 7/8. I really didnt want to go that large but other than Kooks these are the only ones specifically made for LSx engines in a Fox body with the AJE k-member.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 03-07-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Bondsman

If you're looking for a specific LS pan lemme know which one and I'll ask Matt at Profab and see if he has something layin around
Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by GNs-r-slow
If you're looking for a specific LS pan lemme know which one and I'll ask Matt at Profab and see if he has something layin around
I honestly am not sure Tommy. The LS1 Fbody and the LS2 GTO pans look like they would work better. But until I get the k-member in and mount the engine to measure what kind of clearances I need, I really wont know.

If you get a chance to speak with him, see what pans he has or can get and how much he wants for them. Oh and ask if he can get the pick up tube for them as well.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"