Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

Insurance / Body Shops / Consumers

Old 12-02-2007, 04:35 AM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is very one sided. It is evident the originator of this thread knows quite a bit about repairing a vehicle. But it is also evident you aren't completely educated on how insurance works.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Wide Open and Sideways!

This thread makes me laugh. Most of the people on the insurance side don't have a clue about what goes on in their own industry.

However, the body shop people see what goes on because everything trickles down to them. I can't even tell you how many times I have had friends tell me I can't fix there car because the insurance company told them they "HAD" to have their car fixed at one of the body shops approved by them. TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

Originally Posted by importguy1208
This thread makes me laugh. Most of the people on the insurance side don't have a clue about what goes on in their own industry.

However, the body shop people see what goes on because everything trickles down to them. I can't even tell you how many times I have had friends tell me I can't fix there car because the insurance company told them they "HAD" to have their car fixed at one of the body shops approved by them. TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

Indeed! Im glad that others are speaking up, because they only work for ONE insurance company, they only know how ONE does it, i don't know how they write their estimates, or what not untill they tell me what company they work for and or i see a estimate written by them, and we repair one of their cars. This is not a personal attack on you 2 but it seems to be taken that way. But I have dealt with every insurance company you can think of, and I see what they write, and see what they pay for and what they refuse and fight, as well as all of their "tactics"

Lethal Fab
Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

Originally Posted by Alan
This thread is very one sided. It is evident the originator of this thread knows quite a bit about repairing a vehicle. But it is also evident you aren't completely educated on how insurance works.
I Noticed you edited your post, but i will still reply to it anyway. I do know and believe that there are people that work for the insurance companys that have had experience in bodyshops, worked there, owned them Etc. Every adjuster that comes out "supposedly" worked for a body shop, or was a bodyman for 20 years, yet they cannot write a decent estimate, and will try to deny any suppliments.

But it is still a fact that INSURANCE COMPANYS sell insurance, they DO NOT REPAIR CARS, their purpose is to Pay for the LOSS in moneys that their claimant/insured has had, and the owner of the car should choose the shop they want it repaired at, and the body shop works for the CUSTOMER. And to tell you the truth, not sure why you write estimates to begin with, do you want to Rent a stall and repair it yourself? LOL

Also, you have not replyed to any of my topics, about the things that these insurance companys do, other than to say it simply does not happen, which im sad to say is FALSE, it does happen everyday, and i am glad if it Dosent happen at your companys, but in the majority it DOES. And i still don't get how i am Biased, i would be biased if i said A "certain" insurance company did this, but i am not, i see it with almost every insurance company, in some form or another, and to different degrees, i am the farthest thing from biased. Now you 2 have had multiple opportunites to explain to me how you see it, and how insurance "really" works, but neither of you have taken me up on that, you say i am wrong, but yet i have presented my facts, and all you do is deny and call me biased, but yet you have nothing to say about it, why? well i can assume that you dont have anything to add because you infact know that i am correct, but dont want to admit it?

Another fact i would like to bring up is that these Estimating programs, ADP, mitchell, and CCC (pathways) etc. Are simply a GUIDE, and should be used as such, it even says so in the program. These programs are not a bible, and times should be payed for items that are not in the program, because these procedures still need to be done even if you cannot CLICK on them , oh and theres this section called the P pages, really helps out alot when writing a proper estimate, cause its not all Included. - Mike

Lethal Fab
Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Wide Open and Sideways!

Check this car out. The insurance company wanted to fix the 1/4 and the door instead of replacing them. The door skin was folded back onto the frame and the door frame had buckled. The adjuster expected us to "pull it out" in his words. rrrrrrrrrriiiggghhhhttt!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the estimate was written for like $650 and the guy had a $500 deductible so the insurance company was only gonna pay $150 on this job.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

I would fix that quater panel for about 14 hours, plus 2 hours set up and pull time, other than that replace it, i cant see really any good pics of the door damage, but if it was folded and bent in, it would more than likely need a door skin, then additional repair time on the shell, once the skin is off would be easier to fix the shell, with decent repair time.

Lethal Fab
Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM
drives euro trash

Originally Posted by killerMikeD
I Noticed you edited your post, but i will still reply to it anyway. I do know and believe that there are people that work for the insurance companys that have had experience in bodyshops, worked there, owned them Etc. Every adjuster that comes out "supposedly" worked for a body shop, or was a bodyman for 20 years, yet they cannot write a decent estimate, and will try to deny any suppliments.

But it is still a fact that INSURANCE COMPANYS sell insurance, they DO NOT REPAIR CARS, their purpose is to Pay for the LOSS in moneys that their claimant/insured has had, and the owner of the car should choose the shop they want it repaired at, and the body shop works for the CUSTOMER. And to tell you the truth, not sure why you write estimates to begin with, do you want to Rent a stall and repair it yourself? LOL

Also, you have not replyed to any of my topics, about the things that these insurance companys do, other than to say it simply does not happen, which im sad to say is FALSE, it does happen everyday, and i am glad if it Dosent happen at your companys, but in the majority it DOES. And i still don't get how i am Biased, i would be biased if i said A "certain" insurance company did this, but i am not, i see it with almost every insurance company, in some form or another, and to different degrees, i am the farthest thing from biased. Now you 2 have had multiple opportunites to explain to me how you see it, and how insurance "really" works, but neither of you have taken me up on that, you say i am wrong, but yet i have presented my facts, and all you do is deny and call me biased, but yet you have nothing to say about it, why? well i can assume that you dont have anything to add because you infact know that i am correct, but dont want to admit it?

Another fact i would like to bring up is that these Estimating programs, ADP, mitchell, and CCC (pathways) etc. Are simply a GUIDE, and should be used as such, it even says so in the program. These programs are not a bible, and times should be payed for items that are not in the program, because these procedures still need to be done even if you cannot CLICK on them , oh and theres this section called the P pages, really helps out alot when writing a proper estimate, cause its not all Included. - Mike
I see you also edited your post. You must be hiding something.

I work in claims. I don't sell policies. My sole purpose is to indemnify those involved in the loss. This is the same with 100% of insurance claims departments. Sales have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CLAIMS. They are two completely different animals and serve two completely different purposes. The adjuster/appraiser who goes out there to write a supplement isn't there to talk you into higher limits or sell you tow coverage...he is there to inspect the vehicle/repairs and work with the shop to repair the vehicle. Period.

This is a losing argument that could literally go on for close to eternity. It is obvious no one will see eye to eye, so what is the point of continuing the drama? This is the last time I'll be involved in any insurance debate on TR.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:45 PM
drives euro trash

Originally Posted by importguy1208
Check this car out. The insurance company wanted to fix the 1/4 and the door instead of replacing them. The door skin was folded back onto the frame and the door frame had buckled. The adjuster expected us to "pull it out" in his words. rrrrrrrrrriiiggghhhhttt!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the estimate was written for like $650 and the guy had a $500 deductible so the insurance company was only gonna pay $150 on this job.

I lied. THIS is my last insurance debate post.

The appraiser will write to pull it. If the shop can't repair the existing panel a supplement will be written to replace.

The same exact thing happened to the damages on my old Scion. When I walked into Gene Perez for an estimate they originally wrote to cut the quarter and weld in a replacement. When State Farm called me and setup a drive-in inspection at Gene Perez the EXACT SAME appraiser inspected my car again, but this time he wrote to pull the panel. Repairing the existing panel is much cheaper than cutting out the old and replacing it with a new panel. This isn't an uncommon practice if the panel doesn't look like an obvious candidate for a replacement panel.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:54 PM

Mike....if you had the decision to enter into this field again...knowing what you know now....would you still do it?

Josh
"Diamonds are forever!"
Old 12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

Originally Posted by Alan
I see you also edited your post. You must be hiding something.

I work in claims. I don't sell policies. My sole purpose is to indemnify those involved in the loss. This is the same with 100% of insurance claims departments. Sales have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CLAIMS. They are two completely different animals and serve two completely different purposes. The adjuster/appraiser who goes out there to write a supplement isn't there to talk you into higher limits or sell you tow coverage...he is there to inspect the vehicle/repairs and work with the shop to repair the vehicle. Period.

This is a losing argument that could literally go on for close to eternity. It is obvious no one will see eye to eye, so what is the point of continuing the drama? This is the last time I'll be involved in any insurance debate on TR.
No, i have nothing to hide i believe i have told more facts and the truth about what goes on in this indusrty in this thread more than anyone else.

I am also aware that Claims and sales are not related, but when does anyone really "review" their policy, when they get in an accident.

Now there has been no debate, and really not arguement, because i am the only one willing to talk about these issues, no one else will address them, i mean i was told i know nothing about insurance, and that i was fabricating all of these issues, while i was actually hoping that someone on the insurance side could shed some light on their views and how things work, but that hasn't happened either.....

On another note, today i had to deal with an adjuster from SF personally, usually the office takes care of that and our supervisor tech, but no one was there, and it was a good experience, we were able to work things out and agree on proper times, wish it could happen everytime.

Lethal Fab