Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

trans problem...

Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem...

from the begining. my trans was shot... wouldnt stay in fifth gear if you moved the throttle atall after putting in fifth. i didnt worry about it because i had a spare for when it truely went out... it started doing it in 3rd gear(wouldnt completely popupt but almost after you would shift into 3rd it would pop back almost 2 inch's) so i changed the trans. in doing so i crushed 3 fingers because of the driveshaft... donno why it happened but it did. the driveshaft was bent down in a v shape i undid the bolts at the back of the trans and the driveshaft Spring up with my hand on it. and after all that got the trans down new one in and quit for a few days.

the short...
yesterday i added 3 quarts of 75-90 trans oil.(comp said 2 1/2 for a drain n fill...) it drives fine. there is no spring tention to 5th gear...(it freeflops between 3rd n 5th in neutral were it takes a lil pressure to get to the first side...) i was driving yesterday and i tryed to downshift from fifth to fourth and it grinded like it was goin into reverse... i wiggled in neutral and then it went into fourth just fine... then 3rd 2nd n first.... it makes a wierd not grinding but grindingtype noise. camera is dead or i would record it. it doesnt do it atfirst. it starts after a min and only does it in idle(holding clutch with any gear doesnt change it) reving it dont get louder in idle. im gonna get a quart of the thickest oil i can get and add it in to see if that helps the noise out.

were is the adjustment for the side to side on the trans for neutral???(the spring that is normaly under the shifter plate isnt there... it wasnt there on the trans i puled out nor was it there on my spare. could that be the shifter problem?)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
SR20 FREAK

Check the Slave and master cylinders for leaks, Bleed the system just to make sure.

If no problems, you can adjust the Slaves throw to disengage the clutch more by adjusting the Clutch pedal rod under the dash.

Also what Brand Gear Oil are you using? I hope not Royal Purple.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 AM
(SHIFT-YOUR SHITS WEAK)

did you replace your throw out bearing they wear down and cause grinds, rebleed your master and slave

Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 AM

throw out bearing is new.
its castral syn blend 75-90 the clutch is adjusted right. its all bled. the noise is from the trans itself. it wasnt there with my othe rtrans(and nothing else changed) i just think its from the fact that it hasnt moved in a year or so and its relubercating it because i didnt notice the noise on my 15 mile drive yesterday
Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 AM

run 3 qts of syncro-mesh

my lag is your courtesy head start

ATTENTION.... installing a head gasket, head studs or pistons and rods in your otherwise STOCK engine dose not make it a "built" engine! stop listing you cars for sale saying they are built when its not!!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by sullivanracing06
run 3 qts of syncro-mesh
do that
take it easy for a while so the syncro-mesh can get in there and do its thing. put some miles on it and I would say change the oil out. If it sat for a long time, there is going to be rust and corrosion and all kinds of fun stuff that you're breaking up. The syncro-mesh should work wonders for ya.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 AM

isnt that stuff like 11bucks a quart tho?
^^^ know my financial situation...

im selling spare parts instead of moving them to my moms backyard...(need phone pixed and it is gonna cost 40 bucks)
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by 1337240sx
isnt that stuff like 11bucks a quart tho?
^^^ know my financial situation...

im selling spare parts instead of moving them to my moms backyard...(need phone pixed and it is gonna cost 40 bucks)
I honestly don't remember what it costs.. but it does work wonders. . might be able to find it cheaper online...

Check out lucus.. I know they make a manual tranny bottle of goodness. I have never used it through. But I've always been impressed with anything else lucus. Might give ya another option....
Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sileighty_85
Also what Brand Gear Oil are you using? I hope not Royal Purple.
Whats wrong with RP gear oil?

You should only use GL-4 gear oil. My friend killed his trans using GL-5.

S13 & S14 parts FS: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/n...r-st-pete.html
Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 PM

this site swears left and right that RP blows up there trans from lack of lube... i normaly use it but not having a job for a LONG while... bills fixing this car that wasnt sapose to cost so much... it adds up quick... and im using gl4. when/if i get a job i will be going to RP everything again...