Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Before i take it to the shop..... or drive it in a lake..

Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
(OO\____/OO)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i did.. i would have laughed with you, and not at you...

could a seized up turbo cause probs like this? as i stated, it's been kinda laggy and making that rattle/whistle noise while in boost... or maybe it's something else.. boost leak worsening into a vac leak, hence bad idle.... hrmmm... lunch hour mechanics for me tomorrow!!!

Originally Posted by sean1
Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
(OO\____/OO)

i cleaned the MAF... same thing, haven't had a chance to check the TPS..

but after driving it to a safer location, in attempt to nurse it home, the car bucked, sputtered and finally died.... with the smell of burning brake fluid on the passenger side of the engine bay... i'm thinking melting wires, i have a short some where...

it's a JGY customs harness, and they're known for mixed reviews about thier stuff, so i think my next option is to just order a new OEM harness, and convert it to S14 myself, that way, i know the work, and what's been done...

or i may have taylor durdan do it for me... i've heard nothing but good things about his work...

Shit'll buff out.

Last edited by Blackzenki82; 06-11-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
S one 4

Marshall, make him drive the 240, he won't want to get rid of his if he does....

Send it to Taylor, he does awesome work. I've used him twice now...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

really sounds like a boost leak.. have you done a boost leak test? Not just "check the couplers" but a real boost leak test?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
(OO\____/OO)

haven't had a chance to... but that wouldn't explain the burning smell coming from the passenger side of the engine bay... i'm thinking it's a wiring issue... but then again, i don't have the car right in front of me to check...

Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Retired

Rattle/whistle and laggy is an exhaust leak at the head/manifold, usually.

Siezed turbo would drive fine. Like an NA car that's just low on power.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 PM
BELOW M3

^Thank you.

You redid your harness, are you discounting that and instantly blaming the original harness worK? Not even so much discounting wiring failure on your end, but you could have something too close to a heat source, etc. Seems very premature to just blame them.

Want a bike yet?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
haven't had a chance to... but that wouldn't explain the burning smell coming from the passenger side of the engine bay... i'm thinking it's a wiring issue... but then again, i don't have the car right in front of me to check...
who says the 2 symptoms are related? That could be something entirely different and I kinda agree with epstein I have had that happen before, but typically the car would just drive like an NA car with that symptom and wouldnt buck etc.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
(OO\____/OO)

turbo spins freely, no shaft play, in or out... remember, under 500 miles on it.. but when i push it to the side a bit and try to spin it, it's kinda hard... but with reason DUH lol..

so get this.... i go to start my car, to back it out of the spot i pulled into, and a ton of smoke came out of the engine bay... so i cut the car off and joked with the tow truck driver "no better place for a engine fire than right here in the parking lot of the fire Dept"... popped the hood and low and behold.... smoke POURING out from under the coil pack cover... i get hte car home, pull the cover and the plug to Cyl#1 is fused and melted to the coil pack, of which has a blow out on the side, and is leaking its contents....

luckily enough, i had a spare harness, and coil pack, i install them, and motor came to life, sounded good for 3 seconds then dropped to like 400 RPM and sounded like it was firing on 2 cyls...

i'm still thinking at this point of buying a new OEM S13 SR harness, and sending it to Taylor Durdan to convert it to S14, PREOFESSIONALLY.... i thought i did a good job... appearantly not....

here's what i've done so far...

no smoke from exhaust

MAF cleaned

TPS @ .51v (i know, supposed to be .45v, but still within .45-.52 range)

smells like a 2 cycle... rich as hell, but wideband reads LEAN.. and i mean --- no reading lean..

i'll have to do a vac/boost test soon, but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem...

coolant temp sensor has been replaced...

coil pack replaced

coil pack harness replaced

constantly checking codes- all clear (weird i know)

any other input other than boost leak test? i'm thinking harness..... but at least the car is at my house now.... nice and safe!

Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Doesnt see what you did

compression tested it ?
full on track cars can take a lot more liberties with shit than a street car. bell bottom kits and crazy wheel fitment look cool sliding on a track, but when i want to drive to taco bus, im going to ruin all of that shit. so it just doesnt work for me. function over fashion.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
also, im about to blow my moderator status by deleteing all of davids posts
R.I.P. Tim

SR, RB, and LS1 into S13/14 harnesses converted.

SR 13/13- $120, 13/14 or 14/13 $180
RB $200
LS1 $250