Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Starting issue...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue...

What would cause this.... Whenever I attempt to start my 97 240 with a ka in it, I have to hold or pump the gas pedal for almost a minute straight. If I turn the key you can hear it trying to start a few burps of exhaust but it won't start until I pump/hold down the gas pedal. I believe it is an electrical issue because it started perfect every time until messed with my stereo which was rigged way wrong. Also if I don't rev it after it starts the idle is everywhere from 500 to 1000 for the first minute or so it's running and then it smooths out to 750ish with no a/c and 1000 with a/c. What's wrong? I know someone knows.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Because race car…

If you had not said an electrical issue I would have said from my own experience that it could be your fuel injector O-rings. Have you taken them out recently?

I had the exact same issue with mine before replacing them. The Electrical issue throws a big curve at my theory though. Unless you did mess with the injectors too??

The O-rings are fairly cheap and easy to replace could be worth a shot just to freshen them up. But, it does sound fuel related.
Think of it like this. If an O-ring is worn,cracked, or torn the fuel system wont stay pressurize and and you need to pump it to build that pressure when it starts. Does it start much easier after you've had it running for a bit then turn it off and then try to start it again...before it loses that pressure?

But then again, you did say you messed with electrics not the injectors...take my post for what you will. Electrical gremlins are a biotch!!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
(OO\____/OO)

feul pump sounds like it's shot out....

if you need o rings, i just got a set i don't need... you can have em $20 shipped, it's what i paid, and they're still in the zip lock bag...

Originally Posted by sean1
Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 AM

I never touched the injectors it wasn't until I messed with the wiring I do think at one point one of the wires on the radio harness grounded out because the radio fuse did blow but I don't see how this has anything to do with the way it starts....
Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Never Follow!

Check the fuel basics (Pump on? Proper fuel PSI at rail? Injectors firing? Etc...)

2004 Tupperware Mobile- DD Duty
1987 Toyota Supra- Hardtop and a swap. (In Progress)
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa- Gone but not forgot.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM

I think it's a sensor I'm just not 100% sure which one, once it runs I have no problem with fuel what so ever. Like I said at first the idle is a little rough but it balances out quickly. And to answer the other question if I stop the car and try to start it again it does the same thing just not as bad as if it's been sitting like over night or all day at work.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM

New issue today, I put in my lsd go have some fun with the car and everything is perfect. Take my friend home stop and park it, go in his house for about 15 minutes. Come out start to drive home go to get on the parkway and as I'm going through second accelerating I hit 5500 and the rev limiter kicks in... I'm like wtf so I push in the clutch and sure enough all I can get out of it is 5500, I'm assuming this is an ecu issue that maybe it's in safe mode, my only question now is how do I get it out and what would cause a car that's running perfectly fine to go in to safe mode?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 PM
S one 4

One, you're car isn't running perfectly fine if you have to crank it for a minute before it starts... You've got issues.

Second, if you know your car isn't running right, why in the hell would you go out and beat on it? You're just going to make it worse.

Third, have you done a tune up on your car lately? After all it is 12 years old.

Try the basic's, get a manual and start going through it or take it to a shop if you aren't capable of fixing it.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM

My car ran fine it didn't start right, but once it was running t ran perfectly fine. As far as tune up yes everything is fresh except the plug wires. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Nolimitslja; 06-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.