New AEM EMS Gen 2 Hardware Coming Soon

Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AEM EMS Gen 2 Hardware Coming Soon

More drive by wire support, NO MORE WASTEFIRE, serial AND usb support and some other new features to the hardware. Expect the end of December or end of January
* IP Web-Site

* RIP Kevin/Slo_Si RIP & Pablo/Fathead

Last edited by Alpha; 11-12-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM

nice

10.6@136 k20
ALPHA TUNING For all of your tuning needs 7275051423 Induction Performance

BUILT BY KJ
Old 11-12-2008, 06:21 AM

More great news straight from an engineer

"The Gen2 EMS is being worked on right now and is running on lots of development cars. The basic Gen2 main board supports 12 sequential injectors and 8 individual coils.

The Gen2 main board by itself will only drive saturated injectors. If the application needs peak & hold drivers they are added on the adapter board. So if you ask tech support if the Gen2 supports P&H drivers they will likely answer "no".

However, when designing the new adapter board for the Supra we asked for opinions from a few respected guys out there and were told very clearly that it needed native P&H drivers on board. So the Gen 2 EMS for the Supra does indeed have 12 internal peak & hold injector drivers.

Sorry for the confusion. Most of the tech support guys will assume you are asking about the generic gen2 PnP computers and they will not have P&H.

Also, the transmission control is totally redone in this unit. The shift firmness is now fully adjustable from soft to hard rather than the current bone jarring sharpness of the current box. Additionally, the lock up converter will work properly.

As to the manufacturer and reliability. The only thing the Gen2 EMS main board shares with the Gen1 EMS is the length and width. The entire board design and manufacturer are totally changed.

Last but definitely not least, let me address the release schedule. The Gen2 EMS will start shipping around the end of this year but that does not necessarily mean the Supra will be shipping then (We have multiple gen2 PnP EMS's in development right now, STi's EVO etc... besides the Supra). At this point I think the Supra will be first out of the gate but only extensive testing will tell for sure and we aren't at the point where I can make that call yet. We have not announced the Gen2 Supra EMS yet nor assigned a price (trying to keep it the same but can't promise anything). The one on display was used since it was the only one I had that was already laser etched with the "Gen2" on the case. Please don't hold your breath and expect this to be out in the next week, it's NOT coming. I am thinking January but it could easily be later. Maybe earlier"
* IP Web-Site

Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM

I'm actually getting pretty excited about the Gen2 for some applications!

"The system will launch without the ability to protect maps but that function will be added in the near future. The addition will be a free software update when it is released

There will not be internal UEGO's offered. I was always of the opinion that they were great and everyone should get them but after offering them for 3+ years I have been proven wrong. People want an external unit with a display

No. The Series1 based ECUs currently support a very nice DBW implementation for the STi but since the unit we are talking about is a plug-&-play Supra box it will not have it since the Supra does not have the hardware

I dont know. The Series2 box uses nothing, literally, nothing from the Series1 ECU so there is no upgrading or refurbishing a Series1 ECU into a Series2 ECU. However, with that said, I personally would like to see something like this in place as well but I'm an engineer and have nothing to do with those types of decisions

It depends. While the Series1 and the Series2 ECU's are totally different, the system has been designed to allow a map conversion to take place with minimum user tweaking required. However, since the Series2 ECU now has P&H injector drivers your injector response will need to be recalibrated if you are currently mapped with saturated injectors or use a resistor pack. We are documenting the changes required and will have a roadmap / checklist that should get you close but until we convert a few cars out there I cant say with any authority how easy/hard it is going to be

The Series2 ECU uses completely different firmware, literally rewritten from a clean sheet to remove most (all!) of the problems we knew about with the Series1 ECU's. The start should be faster

No. The wheelspeed sensors don't come to the ECU

No, You can use either, however AEMPro is a "dead" platform now. No updates will be provided. We have a full time programmer in house dedicated to AEMTuner and you will see very cool things with this platform in the future

Yes, The hardware is implemented for dual CAN bus channels but it will likely not be released in the initial Supra PnP release. We have it working internally but are still struggling with how exactly to make is useful for the average user. We want it to be programmable as part of the cal file. We want the user to be able to enter a header, scalar and such and have it transmit parameters and the same for reading but have to study some more before we lock ourselves into it. When it is released it will be a free downloadable upgrade for all users

You can keep it or toss it. The Series2 Supra PnP will have 3 jumper selectable ignition outputs: Standard Supra, rising edge trigger and falling edge trigger.

Additionally, the knock sensor system is different. Rather than a hardware filter the system has software selectable frequency ranges for identifying knock.

But let me once again say that the system is NOT set for imminent release. I am posting this information here because this thread exists and would rather that the information be correct rather than speculation. Many companies hype up products before release and then leave people hanging forever. We have been guilty of this in the past and I am loath to repeat it. The box is at least 60 days, and more likely, 90 days out. If you have an imminent need then buy something else right now. When it is released, it will be in small numbers initially and those will only go to trusted AEM tuners who have helped to develop it. You wont see them on ebay or being whored out.

In the past, especially when the Series1 was initially released, we've bowed to pressure (that we helped to create) and released products that were not fully tested or debugged. We wont do it this time. As of everything I have in front of me right now I think this will begin selling just after the first of the year but I wont hesitate to push it back indefinitely if I sense something wrong with it"
* IP Web-Site